Saturday, May 8, 2021

The Goddess Cybele – Steam Punk Pocket Page

 


In Ankara, Turkey, they found a 7000-year-old statue in an archeological dig.  The goddess, Cybele is always found seated with animals beside her.  Cybele was seen as having associations with Mother Earth and Rebirth.

The elders have said that there was so much energy created when Creator created the earth.  There is so much positive and so much negative and must always be in balance.  When one soul goes, one comes.  Everything is in balance even though we may only see one side…there is another.  As I was making this pocket page, I was considering the number of times in a lifetime a woman must have said “NO!!!” and meant it, to have it disregarded, even by other women. 

Cybele was protected by Eunuchs, known as “Galli” who were go-betweens between the females and the males.  They were neither male nor female.  They were able to see both sides of “NO!!!”  Why has it been so historically difficult for our brothers to understand that NO means No and we should not have to explain?  How many lifetimes do we have to live with NO on our lips? 

After finding the information on the carving of Cybele, it led me to finding a Victorian woman seated and that led me to a punk woman seated.  I also downloaded some frames to go with the captured images.


 

1.     Black gesso on page.  Dry.  The page had a wonderful texture to it as it is an envelop page that I will work with.

 

1.     While it was drying, I worked on putting the photos into and on to the frames to add later.

2.     Back I go to the page.  I begin the stenciling part of the layers.

3.       When dry, I used a soft cloth and polished the page with Artist’s Loft Old Gold.

4.     While that was drying, I worked more on the frames then added some frame color and glued them n.  I added my cinnamon gear, a girl’s face, a steampunk butterfly. And then to carry on with the background.

 



 


 
5.     The rest came quickly, as it always does.  I suddenly knew what I wanted to use as a caption.  I knew I wanted to make the insert that would add to the caption. 

We have been saying NO for a long time… and they still are not listening.

©Carol Desjarlais 5.8.21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment