Monday, May 3, 2021

Grunge -time machine

 

 


1.      Choose a background paper you can grunge.  Using Modeling paste or thick gesso, give some texture to the page in places.  Do not cover the whole page,. Just in areas.

HINT:  I figured, later, that I had made the texture too thick and it would have been better to have a thin coat rather than thick. 

2.     Choose a rubber stamp that is not flowers or something prettiful.  Choose one that has more of a geometric feel to it, etc.  (I had a stamp that I made and used it but it was not thick enough of a stamp – the grooves – so I decided to make marks.)  Let dry really well before going on. 

Since the modeling paste dries mostly clear, it will not show up until painting happens.

3.      I decided I did not have enough impressions, so I used the 3D Gel again and this time used a stencil.

  The 3D gel takes a bit longer to dry.  It has a rubbery finish when dry.  It will be interesting to paint over this.

4.       Like the youtube with Gisele, I am going to use metallic paints.  I am using Folk Art and DecoArt metallic paints

5.     I wiped back with a wet wipe before it dried and it was too light so I add a touch of midnight black to grunge it up more.  I think it turned out fabulous, actually.

6.     I can see the world map and latitude lines peaking through...  love it.

I think grunge can be a whole lot of messy background, tons of layers of stencils and dulled colors. Adding the complexity of the clock with an eye in it, a girl holding a gazing ball.  I stamped writing on it, but you cannot decipher the words.  Things are not focally clear.  Perhaps this is grunge. 

 They say that our internal time machine is what keeps track of past, present, and future, yet, the future dims and every time we remember a memory, it changes a bit so that our full memory of past experiences are colored by our state of mind when we remember.  I found this so interesting and spent some time trying to remember an incident.  I could see, feel, touch, smell, hear the historical frame - a little girl on a usual morning walk up to his coffee shop.  He is holding my hand.  I know the exact spot where I asked him what he was worrying about.  (I was, apparently, not at school yet, because my grandparents babysat us until we went to school. )  He told me that, if he did not stop smoking, he wad going to lose his leg).  It was such a poignant moment that it is embossed on my heart.  I, as such a little girl, decided I was going to be his monitor because we were together every day all day.  There was some consolation to this vignette, Grandpa did not lose his leg and he did stop smoking.  But, as I remember, am I adding in anything on to the memory?  I think, yes, because as I remembered, my mind took on the story and I tried to ad in more senses.

Next I checked my inner time machine towards the future.  At first I got nothing, then I noticed my mind went into dreams, wishes, hopes.  It was a great couple of exercises to try.  give it a go, sister-friens.

Carol Desjarlais 5.3.21

No comments:

Post a Comment