Sunday, May 9, 2021

Deli Delicious Grunge Page

 


 

I saw a photo pop up on FB and thought… I could use that…  then the challenge was to turn it into grunge…I have decided soft grunge for this double-page spread.

1. * Page prep with black gesso and then using teal as the main background color.  I am also going to use gold as accent.

 


1.     I printed off some photos, from the internet, on to deli paper

HINT:  To print on Deli paper.  Trim so it fits exactly.  Open a word document and copy and paste images on to that.  Tape, with double-sided tape, a sheet of deli paper on to a sheet of printer paper. Orient the paper to the side your printer prints on and print.  Voila.  Homemade ephemera.

 


1.      I added some flowery bits…  I knew that they did not really fit grunge, but I have set myself up for a problem to solve.  I love solving problems.

2.      I printed off some other copies about women on to sticker paper.

 


1.      The choice now was which ones to use for this page and exactly how to use them.  I decided to do a wash of dusty pink.  This will unify the two pages and allow for push and pull of colors underneath and the dusty pink that pushes color back. 

2.     HINT:  I made a wash of DecoArt Flamingo pink, some cream and some slate acrylics.  Mix them together to get a dusty pink and then water down that with a bit of water and use a wet brush to apply. 

HINT:  To do a good wash for this project, mix your acrylics to get the color you want.  Add a bit of water to have it just a bit watery like a thin lotion.  Load your brush with color, then tap on your palette, paint a small area (applying with a small brush and use circular motions not paint in lines), then use a soft Kleenex to wipe back so the color is not glaring.

 


1.     Move on over to the other page and do the same, going around the ephemera to highlight them better. Paint and daub, paint in swirly motions, and daub until you have pushed back some of the turquoise and gold.

2.     Add some writing of some kind.

 


1.      I, immediately realized how washed out the page was.  I needed it bold and biting. I began to experiment with background colors.  I went with a fairly thick Inheritance by Americana, and it is a chalk paint.  I did not want shiny, but I wanted bold.  As I began, I realized that I should do it more ‘dry brush’ (exactly what it means), straight paint on a dry brush and do circular motions with that.  Let that dry.  Now to tie it together again, I needed to do some penwork. 

 


1.      


This is the point when it becomes ‘make or break\ time.  First of all, the colors clash – that is good this time. 

2.     I took a break for a bit and considered what the pages were saying to me, really.  I figured it out... “If it takes us being a ‘beotch’ to have our rights.. then be it!”.  I continued having my say in different places on the pages. And called it good.

3.     I finished the pages off by darkening the edges of the pages. 

Being a strong woman does us no favors sometimes, for a short term.  Once we realize that we are all the names they say, according to their definition, then we settle in to that without defense or discredit.  Yes, we Are!  Yes, we can be!  Yes, I will be!  Maybe you ought to try it!  Yes, a strong, brave determined woman is something to deal with most times. 

©Carol Desjarlais 5.9.21

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment