Saturday, May 22, 2021

Grunge: Scary Movies

 



In a nutshell, grunge is moody with stains, torn things, broken things, rough textures, old papers that are torn or yellowed, (nothing glossy).  It should be graffiti-like but dull, dirty browns, beiges, greys and blacks.  You could also use dark dirty greens, dull blues, and greyed reds.  Drawn jagged lines and writing, clips, and small metal pins, needles, etc.    Splashes (especially red) and spills are huge.  And, in the end, as I said, the page should be moody.  I think I am finally getting it. 

For this page, I was given some National Geographic pages.  They had old drawings of the body.  Ok, old is covered.  I used a pink but I greyed it the top page is torn and glued on to the second page.    Metal is the paper clip and metal button. I left a lot of the Oliver twist story underneath everything so that it shows up in places.  

Sometimes it feels like grunge is just dirty, but it takes a lot of thought to getting the right ephemera to fit the page and its components.

 


I never professed to be a good artist, but I have good ideas.  Lol

When I was a teenager, The Blob, and The Pit and the Pendulum was all the rage.  I have never liked scary anything, still do not.  I have seen enough of scary things in life to do me.  Well, of course, it was the in thing to go to the midnight movies and watch the cay movies.  I was terrified and screamed the loudest and longest, I am sure.  Anyways, the boys got such a charge of me clutching hands, arms, etc., that they lined up to take me to the next one…lol…  I do not know the fascination with scary things.  I started to read a Steven King book, when I was in my thirties.  I rad about three pages and thew it in the garbage.  It haunted me so bad I took it from the house garbage out to the outside garbage bin.  I absolutely can not bear anything scary.  (And, even my ex took me to clockwork Orange, and I made hi leave with me right near the first quarter… he thought it was great fun.  I was terrorized and still blips of excerpts will come to mind at times.  Ewww...)

Can you do your own scary themed page?

I would love for you to share some grunge or steampunk pages that you have tried.  Inspire me!

 

©Carol Desjarlais 5.22.21

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment