Sunday, May 23, 2021

Steampunk: The Softer Side – Pastels and Inks

 

 


 

I tried some chalk pastels with this page.  I had a page already painted from colors left off my brush.  I gesso’d it with clear gesso.  I am going to try to go with a softer side of steampunk for this page.

 


 

First the gesso bits and bobs to get some lovely texture.  I wanted something airy, so I added some butterflies that I gesso’d with different weights of gesso. 

 


A bit of light pink helps to bring the page alive better.   

I started going through my stencils and ephemera and started placing things on the page to get a balance.



 

I decided wooden hearts would fit well in the border.  That covers the wood/metal category.

 

 


HINT:  It is a good idea to seal whenever you do an addition.  Because I was using pastels, I then topped the sealed page with clear gesso again to give it tooth.

This page is really all about body sense, about comparing one’s body to someone else, and how it is necessary to love one’s body as a shrine that gives your soul some place to be.

©Carol Desjarlais 5.23.21

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment