Saturday, May 1, 2021

Exploring Steampunk and Grunge For the Month of May

 




Steampunk is a bit science fiction in that its theme is a bit 19th century and is a bit about poking fun at modern technology.  It is all about a lot of gears, clocks, maps, compasses, lab instruments but is also about Victorian romance, art and design.

Grunge is very much the Punk Rock scene’s artistic child.  It is raw and real.  It uses real life images with the industrial and is very stylistic, not uniform (doesn’t necessarily follow usual artistic rules) and is gritty. 

They are so closely related but I am going with Steampunk = Victorian Modern technology warped and Grunge = muddied stylistic and gritty, loud, ‘stomp your feet and bandstand kind of tone to it.

This will be an interesting month for me, if I can sustain this that long.  I have two journals going; one for steampunk and one for grunge.  I already found I have to seek out the definitions again to make sure I am doing what I think is the right genre.

The cover of my steampunk shows all the sign s of being steampunk with the new age woman and the clock and the gears, the metal buttons, the washi tape and the bit of measuring tape.  If I learn more, I can do more work on the cover, but for now, it is steampunk to me.

I am now deciding if the Hippie movement is not a part of Steampunk as well. 

 

©Carol Desjarlais 5.1.21

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment