Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Steampunk – All that Jazz

 


 

I do not know what Jazz really is, but I know I do not like the syncopation and the jarring half notes and tones.  It does not tell me a story, I guess, but I am willing to tell something through a steampunk Jazz page. 

I was lucky enough to grab some Tim Holt’s paper dolls and I love them.  I used the characters as the main part of the page to tell the story.

I really struggled with this one…  I got lost a few times, found my way back, I thought, then got lost yet again.

Finally, it fell together.  I had to ‘strange’ things up.  Then I think I got steampunk.  

It should be natural that an art journal page is full of ‘Jazz”.  Jazz encourages, celebrates, and rewards newness, originality, personality, and meaningful expressiveness in music.  Jazz: it has been called both cool and hot, earthy and avant-garde, intellectual and primitive.  Visual artists recognized the distinctive rhythms and defining colors in jazz as inherently unique, and sought to recreate them visually.  It should have, then, been easy to drop into the jazzy space to create a journal page.  But I struggled with the sense of messy collage.

Can you fall into a ‘Jazzy; space and create a Jazz-themed art journal entry?

©Carol Desjarlais 19.5.21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment