Friday, November 1, 2019

Tenderness Journal Challenge For November





November 1 - Tenderness Journal Challenge For November
“If you knew what was going to happen, if you knew everything that was going to happen next—if you knew in advance the consequences of your own actions—you'd be doomed. You'd be ruined as God. You'd be a stone. You'd never eat or drink or laugh or get out of bed in the morning. You'd never love anyone, ever again. You'd never dare to.”
Margaret Atwood,
The Blind Assassin

Tenderness is different than sensitive.  We have to define the difference between TENDERNESS and OVERLY SENSITIVE. Highly sensitive people are those who may or may not have had a diagnoses as ADHD, as an adult. I am struggling with this right now.  Once of my goals is to have grace, some dignity, some peace of mind.  I am my own worst enemy in that I can ruin my own peace of mind in a moment and then I have no peace, etc. because I ruined it.  Overreaction is huge and I need to find a gray area.  As I begin, with encouragement from a psychologist friend, to find ways to stop being over-sensitive and to find a way to respond with tenderness, is huge.  I have, for long been an emotional reactor and I thought it to be tenderness in some cases, and it was not.  I am a sensitive-reactor not a tenderness-reactor.  I work, this month to find ways to work through this in art journaling.  

It is to note that  highly sensitive people can be overly emotional and can be a positive as long as it is positive emotions worked with.  Sensitivity can be overly emotional, in response, and is actually, according to psychologist Elaine Aron, as a conditional called HSP (Highly Sensitive Person).  Highly sensitive people are those who experience the emotions of others, like a lizard that can change colors to its environment.  They are typically full of emotional angst so any extra stimulation and, because emotional and physical stimuli are felt in the same area of the brain, they take longer to deal with overloads that are easy to happen.  I am pretty sure, over the years, that I have , somehow, learned new ways of stuffing, unconsciously, and my emotions are bottled up.  It amazes me to consider this.

Some people are more in tune with their feelings, negative and positive, and can feel things deeply, sometimes without knowing why they respond the way they do, they simply respond, in a heightened way.  Sometimes, people who are overly-sensitive, will turn to feeling that they are more tender but their tenderness is turned to pseudo people, places, things, to express the tender side of their emotions.  Emotional people can be tender.  Tenderness is expressed towards safer people, places, and things than the event that made them feel tender.  

Consider how well you express each and every emotion one can feel.  Consider when your feelings are overly expressed.  What things do you tend to close down for?  Where do you place the authentic feelings of tenderness?  Consider how hard it is for you to let go of things, to forgive, to manage in appropriate responses. And, this is huge for me:  What is your reaction when you feel someone is criticizing you and do you take comments personally, and negatively, at a deep level?   This is where I immediately become reactive rather than contemplative and pausing to look at what is being said, apart from a finger/fingers being pointed at me in some sensed negative way.  Do you turn intense feelings outwards in any response that happens to come, or do you take it in, quietly, and feel put down and derided?  I respond, as intensely as the pain inflicted, and do not take it in as being authentic until I can work through it in a quiet space of time. It takes some time for me to come to a place of change, acceptance, without sensing the negativity of a situation. I am working on this, intensely, during this month, in order to not make immediate response, but to take it in and spend some time considering what was really being said or done.   I want to be tender not sensitive.  I think in finding the way to respond with tenderness (even for Self) I will have accomplished a huge feat.  Lord, where is my 'whatever' and walk away?  I need to find that reaction. 

People who are tender, authentically, do not seem to struggle with intense emotions and reactions.  I have to learn the lesson, then forgive and refuse to be automatically overwhelmed.  I have to find a way not to react instantly as if I were fighting for breath. I have to find ways not to dwell on a problem, but to work through it... as quickly as possible before the next wave hits.   I have to do some deep internally emotional work, but not dwell on the feelings.  This blog is going to be ways I work through this through art journaling.    I need to be more inwardly considerate and empathetic and work hard to get some level playing ground... not feel like life is constantly a battleground where it is me against the whole world..not maudlin, lord, not that, but truly only battling what needs battling. Life is not all about big threats that need fleeing or fighting but my psyche does not seem to know that yet.    

Some of us are simply born highly sensitive in many ways.   Some of us take things very personally in ways you cannot fathom.  We are all unique in ways we respond to outer stimuli.  Somehow, some of us need to learn the language of authentic emotions, even yet.  We wear masks and sometimes we are afraid to take off the masks because we do not know who the real is under it all (Jeff Desjarlais quote.  RIP).  Somehow, one needs to create ways to deal with the impending 'doom and gloom' of reacting instead of pausing and really considering why something hurt us or had us feel threatened.  Sometimes, we can help each other.  Sometimes not, because there are too many triggers.  

We all have strong feelings but towards what?  What feels threatening to us?  Why does it feel threatening?  Some of us express joy in exuberant ways.  Some of us express ourselves as if our life was a story...duh, creative people.  We care, deeply,  for our own friends families, our own friends, our own neighbors, towns, cities, world.  To be hushed up is horrible.  It stops us from trusting the whole world again.  Once we understand ourselves, we can move on...limping a little, but moving, nonetheless. We learn about ourselves through the voices and definitions of others about us.  We have always been that way since birth.  Some of us take even gestures to heart and make them fit us, in some construed way.   Some of us take words in and we digest them and turn them around, taste them, feel them, and know if they truly fit us.  We need to go to some seclusion of sorts to figure out what to do with what we feel.  When I am overwhelmed, I have to find a calm place, fast, to extinguish the hurt.  Then comes authentic feelings, the ones not having been said in a rush.  We either accept the challenge to change ourselves, or we remain the same and full of chaos.  Being overwhelmed means that we become even hypersensitive if we do not get the personal thoughts worked through.  

Somehow we need to figure out how to become stronger in coping with, in understanding, in either setting aside or taking in, the lessons offered.  I have to figure out this tenderness verses versus over-sensitivity spiral.  I have spent hours talking to my friend/peer in the old days.  I just have to work on it every day and get the bit of clarity that comes as I do.  I do know that my saving grace is that I love.  I do know that my fall from grace is feeling unloved, rejected, which leads to feeling defensive.  We will see how this goes this month.

Challenge:  Can you somehow do a page that shows your feelings about tenderness verses over-sensitivity?  Please do and share.  

©Carol Desjarlais 11.1.19

No comments:

Post a Comment