Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Cut Bait or Fish









“Something just flashes into your mind, so exciting, and you must out with it. If you stop to think it over, you spoil it all.” L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables / Anne of Avonlea

To say, " cut Bait or Fish" speaks to swift decision-making (to act or not to act), and cautions against procrastination and/or indecisiveness. To be impulsive can come from being tender and wanting to nurture or to be compassionate. It can also come from spontaneous negative reactions that you did not take the time to control.  Many of us are people who act impulsively can experience both sides of the coin.  Somehow we need a balance, a gray area, where we do not let others cross our boundaries, due to our tenderness, and where we do not react, negatively, without thought.  How many times do we wish we had simply walked away or, at the very least, paused and considered outcomes?

It does not happen often, but it happens, I let impulsivity take over where mind and heart should have stopped.  But, it is impulsivity that has me jump into a mountain stream and enjoy the thrill of daring to, even at my age.  It is a huge part of my creativity.  There are times it is a good thing and times it is not. When I, consciously, allow my impulsivity to focus in on a painting or an art journal page, I am in control.  But then, there are times I allow it to control me.  Not enough, but I do.   How does one loosen one's impulse boundaries for the positive and how does one control the impulsivity when it is negative?  This is huge for me and I need to get a handle on it.
In part, when something negative happens, for whatever excuse or reason, I tend to jump to conclusions that one thing is happening (according to Ego) when it is not necessarily so.  Rather than sink into soppiness, or walk around leaning on others to 'fix it',  I have to decide to really understand positive outcomes versus negative outcomes and where the trigger is that flicks on or off.  And, realize that I am in control of both, or should be.  To allow impulsivity in creativity means to experiment, without conscious-driven outcomes, and recognizing that success or failure is just another layer away. 

Where do we allocate our energy?  That is important too.  Part of this has to do with trusting ourselves, and, yes, others.  Part of this has to do with Ego getting in the way of superimposing itself over what is happening.  I know, when I do art, very often, Ego gets in the way and says "It's ruined, I wrecked it..."  and this carries over into when I react negatively as well.  Ah Hah!  I am on to something here. Do I make unconscious judgments?  Well, indeed, I do.  It is when ego steps in and makes judgment calls, and warps things into what IT thinks is being said or done, that I get into trouble.  Damned Evil Inner Witch...she is part of me that I have to remove with surgical precision so that I do not stop intuitive impulsivity that is the creative automatic compassionate, part of me.   

The difference between positive impulsivity and negativity is not just the outcome, it is what is already within (i.e.:  stress, hunger, tired, burn-out) and there is an anxiousness already present.  With positive impulsivity, there is a peace and a type of creative excitement, dearness, almost, that is felt when you slip into that space of creativity or compassion.  Positive impulsivity is an automatic lessening of control for good purposes.  Negative impulsivity is control-triggered.  The end result can either be an inner satisfaction or inner confusion, guilt, shame.  

Without an incident of triggering, I can work off any anxiety.  With triggers, I react from fear, anger, and a negative panic which leads to feelings of shame, guilt, unworthiness, etc.  Both are sensation driven.  It is that one has to make conscious decisions to pause, to feel the feelings, without reacting without numbing, but consciously!  Will-power!

To act, after pausing, is a coping skill we all have to learn.  If we do not cope, heal our past, and make conscious effort to change, to be aware, to acknowledge, we cannot be authentically tender in our impulses.  I would way rather know consequences of impulse in positive things, of course, but many of us might learn about impulsivity the hard way.  We know what happened, after the fact.  And, so, I continue on, this month, working on mindful reactions without losing positive spontaneity.  There, that is positive impulsivity... being spontaneous in compassion, understanding, and tenderness for self so we can be so with others with a calm that comes from knowing we are meant to be tender inside and out.

©Carol Desjarlais 11.19.19

No comments:

Post a Comment