Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Tenderness For Your Critical Self








“By noticing and processing so many details around them — not to mention their own internal thoughts — highly sensitive people are doing far more cognitive work than most others. Being overstimulated and frazzled is something anyone can identify with, but for HSPs, it happens much more easily.”
— Andre Sólo

Overly-sensitivity, at its height, is hypersensitivity.  It is a type of emotional sensitivity where there is miscommunication because one hears one thing and communication was meant to be another.  In some way, it seems to be connected to ADHD where stimuli from outside oneself trigger something on the inside.  Stimuli can be selective to sounds, to language, to movements, to smells, to flashing lights of some kind, etc., as I recall. I tend to feel the need to sit just in front of a wall, in restaurants so my back in not to others.  As well, in my house or where I am staying, I need to make sure where the exit is.  I know 'weird but so'.  I know that I am sensitive to other people's moods, and I have always sorted through what I think someone else might be thinking.  I have over-analyzed everything since I was small.  IE:  What a pretty dress" might be interpreted, by me, as "Why are you saying that?  Are you being facetious?  Are you saying my dress is pretty and I am not?" Seriously, since I was very little, I was aware of inferences and I analyzed and set the comments to what I thought others were thinking.  I have pretty much outgrown that, thank God, but I am very aware that it did something to my psyche. I have found some emotional resilience and emotional volition through life and have learned many coping skills I was not even aware of until recently and my digging in to find my self-tenderness.

I still struggle with criticism and that is strange because, I worked in a highly emotionally draining career and never had a problem with criticism there.  I took in what I needed to change and changed what was needed or I simply did not take the criticism to heart.  Throughout my childhood, I knew I could not live up to the angel baby my parent's lost.  As long as I remember, I knew I was a replacement baby.  I was aware I could not be the perfect angel baby, child, girl, woman and it did something to me that I had to go back and heal.  It is not all healed yet.  I am sensitive to judgments, to slights, take teasing personally, betimes, and realize that I always felt 'not enough'.  At no time did my parents make me feel 'not enough', it was something, perhaps the primal wound of being given away, rejected, abandoned.  Yes, it can go back that far. 
Since my earliest memories were of not being 'enough', I accepted it at some conscious and unconscious point.  I have had need of tolerance, betimes, as I struggle, and acceptance that there is a reason for my sensitivity.  My earliest memories are of being unacceptable in some way.  Although some may not recognize it, I am a very anxious person.  I have learned to cover it well.  I set out to make the world a better place because I was in it and failed and failed and failed.  I did not believe in a kind and just God, but I wanted others not to feel like that so I loved and loved and loved.  I lost my boundaries and allowed many to overwhelm my barriers.  I surrounded myself with needy people and partners.

I grew up criticizing myself and only felt safe on the back of my horse, by myself, out in the hills or alone on my horse out on the prairies.  Apparently, although I had forgotten, I even had an invisible friend/sister, named Janine that I thought I never let anyone know about, but my brother did and remembered.  He helped me remember her.  I was merciless with myself and still there is that Evil Inner Witch that tries to interrupt and intercede in my healing and growth and peace.  That is the worst criticism of all and I think I am full of self-criticism so that any other criticizing me tops off my tolerance.  I work hard at being patient with myself, these days, to be compassionate for myself, as I work through yet another failure to cope.  

This is the WHY of a Tenderness art journal this month.  I am really digging deep and trying to understand, to name, to know, so that I can express my self-learning.  I am not 'less than'.  I am enough.  We are all enough.  God is not finished with us yet.

Challenge:  Can you express, in some way, that Self-critical Self?  

©Carol Desjarlais 11.6.19

No comments:

Post a Comment