Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The BoHo Woman

 


 

Definition of Bohemian: 

Bohemian or Boho art is full of life, culture, and interesting items flying in the face of modern sensibilities and embraces the unusual in a carefree way.  It is all things unconventional, combining cultures and colors, and objects from around the world.  It is almost hippy dippy, almost Shakespearean, almost sitar music.

I love the chemical stains in hair.  I have had one for some time.  The white of my hair is from vitiligo and that part of my hair shines under black light, it is so non-color (as are the stains on my hands and all over my body.)  Vitiligo happens when your immune system crashes and your own body attacks the melanin of your skin... eats the color right away.   (I say, It is because I was so danged vain and this is my “come-uppance!”)

Vitiligo = A condition in which the melanocytes, the pigment cells of the skin, are destroyed causing affected areas to turn pale. Often seen as patches of white skin.  Rare (Fewer than 10,000 cases per year in Canada).  Treatments can help manage condition, no known cure.  Rarely requires lab test or imaging.  Can last several years or be lifelong.  Family history may increase likelihood (they think my grandmother, Mattea,, from Norway, had it.)

 

So, rather than look all washed out, since I have olive toned skin, my daughter, the hairdresser, keeps a fringe of dark around my hairline and does some bright neon color in the white.  The white does not dye, ether. 

Someone looked askew at my hair and asked, “Why do you do THAT?”  …and my reply: “I may be aging but I am not going down easily.”  Ta duh!

So, long story short – I love the inks and bright reds and blues and purples... in anyone’s hair.  And, well, my Boho woman would have some kind of wild and wonderful color.

Paint your BoHo woman!  Show us your bohemian self..


 

I am very much a Bohemian at heart. 

Are you?

©Carol Desjarlais 6.1.21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment