Friday, February 21, 2020

The Wolf and I




"I dreamed of wolves last night. One wolf that was running towards me in a hunt was stopped out of thirst. The wolf was dehydrated and i wanted to offer it water. I was scared to approach it but I had me own wolf behind me while i was crouched down. Protecting me and also as if to say to the thirsty wolf " it's ok. Do not attack her. She is one of us." This is what i recall from the dream. What do you think?"

A young friend/like another-daughter had a dream and asked me if I had any ideas about what it might mean.  I know a little about symbolism and dream interpretation, and if asked, I try to sort through the literal meanings to find the personal symbolic meanings if I am asked.

I smudge to get answers and here is part of my answer to her:

What an awesome dream and it does carry great meaning.  Of course there is great meaning to it [any animal dream is a signal to really dig into and seek the answers].  The Wolf is the ultimate Protector.  You are being protected right now.  You have earned it well because of your own loyalty, service and compassion.  The world is an uncivilized place right now...the wildness in you needs succor.  Perhaps you are hesitating and holding something in not revealing a truth, out of fear.  Your desire to nurture is strong.  You must reclaim your power, be subservient only to those who deserves such.

This lead me to this painting, starting with a blue washed background and gluing on a yellow doily.  


Next a sketched, lightly with charcoal and dirtied up a horizon line and foreground with watered down gray acrylics.




The next steps happened fast. I got so into it that I did not take photos of each step.  But, I wanted her to stand out so I gave her a red dress.  Look how the horizon line showed through and makes it look like a top and skirt.  I let that happen because it did.  I blocked in color for the wolf and kept her mostly white and in spirit form.    I had to add into the background so I stylized some trees  and did a bit of color in the mid-ground.




I do love this painting.  I will be giving it to her to remind her of the teaching the wolf dream brought her.


©Carol Desjarlais 2.21.20
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment