Sunday, February 2, 2020

Spaghetti Day




How did I not know there was a National Spaghetti Day, in January? 

I bought my own pasta maker and I love it.  I can flatten anything from homemade wonton wrappers to cookies besides the usual kinds of pasta.  Trying out new recipes and methods of cooking, is a hobby of mine. 

Did you know there are 600+shapes of pasta?  It is mainly the shape that is different.  And, every country has some kind of pasta-type recipe.  But, the Italians perfected it and are known to have made it even back in ancient times.  Europe began making Italian Pastas when Marco Polo visited but there were types of pastas way before that.  Arabia had pasta type noodles, it has been discovered, since back in the 1200s.  Chinese had noodles as far back as 5000B.C.  Thomas Jefferson was said to bring back ways to make Italian pasta from his travels to Naples and then immigration made it popular everywhere. Today, about twenty pounds of pasta is eaten, per person, by people just in the United States. 

So, start a new tradition and eat Pasta you have made by yourself today, January 4th.  Include anyone who lives with you and make it a big hullabaloo. 
All you need is flour, water and a pasta maker (or not...these can all be done with a rolling pin, or press).  Yah for Spaghetti Day!
I found a Google photo and decided, since I am heading out tomorrow, for Alberta, that I would do a quick painting to honor Spaghetti Day. A quick sketch, and some quick painting.

I followed my pencil drawing with a Cocoa Bean brown and using a fine liner brush.  Then, again, I block some colors.  It does not matter that they are not smooth, it just gives me a place to start laying down proper colors after the fact.



Layer after layer, I deepen the colors and begin lightning up other areas by adding white to the Raw Sienna and Whisper Cream.  So far, on my palette, I have the bright red for the lips, the cream, the Raw Sienna and a touch of black.  I am using the Cocoa Bean brown  and black for hair color.  I have started shading around the nose, the jaw line with a slightly darker mix of Flesh and the Raw Sienna.  More layers to come after I let this dry well.  If I start layering too soon, the next layer removes some of the bottom layer. 





A bit more layering to blend, using some watercolor pen to give some shadow in shadowy areas, and some black pen around fork and mouth line and nostrils.  Voila.  A quick one is done.


https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-fresh-pasta-from-scratch-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-73435

https://www.nonnabox.com/types-of-pasta/

©Carol Desjarlais 1.4.20
 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment