Thursday, February 13, 2020

Maeve






Where Mauve lives, magic and fairies and protection and justice reside.  She reminds us to be wise leaders, as she is said to have had golden birds whispering things of convention to her. She is actually a goddess of the first part of May, but some of her influences begin now.  

When you run into some trouble, it is wise to put a piece of clothing on backwards, or inside out, to wear red, to leave offerings of treats, honey or ale outside for the things of magic.  This encourages the sprites and fairies to work on your behalf to help you get through some trouble.  I place something that does not belong on to my altar.  As well, it can be that you put out a treat to the birds asking them to take your woe to the golden birds so that they might help you.  Perhaps you have felt an urge to feed the birds without knowing why you were doing so.

Again Christianity derided the following of Maeve.  What was once the meaning of her name "Intoxication' in the most beautiful of aspects, became 'drunken woman', of course.  Their story is that she raced horses, slept with many kings, was discarded where she lived in he forest with only feathers and birds as her clothing and coverings.  Their stories made her mortal, but time has not seen her followers or those who honor her, dissipate.  There is a resurgence in honoring her.  





I wanted a simple page for this one.  I did a quick-stroked drawing for placement.







Next, I defined the petals of the hair, face and flower using Majestic purple that will be my second darkest color.




After I have some shapes, I begin filling in the petals with a brush loaded with Lavender and a touch of white for the center and top of petals.



Next, I moved into the center of the flower, added a drop of Black to the Majestic Purple to define a few of the edges of petals and the center.  





To get some more shape to the petals, I mixed a neon purple with a touch of Lavender and stroked to get some layering look to the petals at the core.

Another layer to the main petals is done with the same mixture as above... I used a eye brush to get some streaky bits up the petals.
 


I, purposely, put some white circles in the middle of the flower because that wil draw your eyes from petals that are not perfect. 




Then I have to leave the flower and begin on the hair.  I used a broad brush and mixed black, Majestic Purple and the Neon Purple to get some hair shape.  *I let this dry because I needed to take a break that would give me another look at the page and maybe that fresh look would sort things for me as I move into the face.   I get a base color down, using a wide brush and mixing touches of neon purple to start to get shape.






Layer after layer she Becomes.
 

 


 


 


 

 


2 comments:

  1. There must be many stories in regard to these Chinooks? We have had them weekly this winter, I wonder what the stories. Purple is one of my fav colors, not that it suites me I just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is finally melting this evening.... so grateful, I am.

    ReplyDelete