Sunday, January 22, 2023

Aergia: Procrastination - Sloth

 


 

 “Why do today what you can do tomorrow.”  Pretty sure we are lots of us that have lived covid with this phrase and now we need to get going and get ‘er done!  We’ scattered ourself to the winds and we have some left overs hanging on for dear life.  While Spring tries to sort itself, we ought to as well.  Amidst the leftover dry dead leaves are a few sprigs of greening. 

I have become so inactive over these months when I could not be out climbing mountains to get to gems.  I have become idle and boring to myself, like Aergia, the Greek goddess of sloth and laziness.  Oh, and, yes, she ate a lot of food, and I am dealing with blood sugar issues that leave me scrambling to find something to fill the craving for something to eat.  Funny that she is a couch sleeper, like me too.  Ugh!  I have definitely been under her influence. 

Aergia is said to have short hair and does not take care of her appearance like she should.  Ugh!  This too.  I do not even want to go out and shop for groceries because it would mean I have to do something with my hair and makeup and dress up rather than wear my raggedy everyday clothes. 

Aergia is said to wear the same bracelet every day for years.  Our only difference is that she can cause others to sleep and I struggle with sleep. Yes.  Yes.  I have fallen under her spell.  I fight to have the energy I need to fulfill my personal list of things I want to do...need to do. 

I really disliked having to isolate so completely but then I came to really enjoy it.  Now, I am procrastinating and feel no guilt for it.  I have always worked hard and fast and now I get it done if I get things done... if not, I can do it later.  My motivation is weak, for sure. 

I need to find my passion again and sort myself out so I am living each day with a purpose and being fully engaged with life and what is going on around me.  I will be grateful for Spring when it chuffs off the dead leaves and allows for the springing of beautiful green leaves.


 

©Carol Desjarlais 1.22.23

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment