Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Spring Is Sprung

 

 


 

Daffodils are about to blossom.  They are my “it is finally Spring” hope.  I am being drawn out of my winter comfort to “do” things outside.  I love to go outside and hear the birds welcome morning, and, yes, Spring.  The pussy willows must be springing somewhere around so the bees will soon be stumbling from their own lethargy to come out of the hives and dup their leavings from the long winter (which means waxy little splotches on everything). I have some dumping of my own to do.

I leave for Alberta on April 1st, for my first Spring foray “home” to take care of business, to spend time with my daughter and granddaughter.  I have something big to look forward to there.  I am doing a wine and whimsy night at my daughter’s salon, on the evening of the 2nd.  I have a long list of what I must fit into my vehicle; everything from easel, to tape; paints, examples, music to set the mood, and ger myself up to do “social” again.   

I have been going out on to the patio through the day and night and a slumping gazebo has tried to dampen my spirit.  I have swept up the juniper spills, (a never-ending job) taken everything decorative out from under the collapsed canvas of the gazebo, have pulled last years stems out of my flower pots, finally gotten to the far reaches of where the highest drifts were and picked up Baby’s hidden treasures (I will never let her go to the furthest reaches and do that again for a while season).  Decisions about a new gazebo have to be made and I am tending to just let happen what happens out there where I usually have my makeshift art studio.

I need to finish taking down Christmas things, need to do something with my front door gnome since she is still wearing her bedraggled Christmas rags, and bring out some “Springy” decorations to replace the emptiness of winter leavings from the front flower garden.    I need to bring out my spring vases and decorations to replace gaps in the house decorating.  Dusting off the far reaches of the house where laziness simply did not go. 

I am all ‘gungho’ about planting seedlings in egg cartons and getting them going as soon as I get back.  I want poppies this year.  I know the California poppies will be everywhere like they were last year and I loved the wild flower look to the flower garden area.  I want to do something with the table that sits by the wall of the garage and sinks a little further into its warped top (probably moreso due to the rocks I have piled on there).  I have a sense of urgency to have that area spruced up and things sorted out there.

I have to do something about the “pellet stove” dust that has filtered into everything even though we have air filters in every room of the house.  The Bee man blows out the filters often but to no avail.  It will be nice to throw open the doors and windows and let sunshine in. 

My soul needs some cleaning and dusting as well.  It feels bedraggled.  It needs some ‘outside’, out in the mountains, on to the prairies, down by a river, into a forest kind of activities.  It needs some edification of fresh air and new sights to see.  It needs to feel close to Mother Nature’s heartbeat and to plunge my hands into soil to connect with her.  My spirit needs freedom from four walls and a space and place to heal.  I am heading to the mountains this morning, to a friend’s claim, to seek and saturate myself in an activity that almost feels holy to me.  Spring is in the mountains and the sweet musky smell of Mother earth draws me in.  I am going on an adventure today.  It will help me switch my body, mind, heart and soul into spring’s hope and cleansing.

Spring has sprung, are you springing with it?

©Carol Desjarlais 3.29.22

 

No comments:

Post a Comment