Monday, March 7, 2022

How Do We Express Our Uniqueness?

 

 


 

How do we express our uniqueness?  What is it about us that gives away how we know we are unique?  Are we women with herd mentality or are we that one horse that runs wild in the wind with such joy you can feel it as you watch?  Do you enjoy your own company?  What is thee about you that expresses how unique you are?

You can tell so much from women by the way they do their hair, by the way they choose colors to wear, whether they go full-on makeup or whether they go au natural.  The more natural, the more confident and self-assured.  Of course, there are those things that show personality.  For instance, I always have a streak of color where my white hair meets my darker hair in front.  I love the neon stains and my daughter keeps me looking fresh.  I like different hairstyles.  Again, my daughter dreams them up. It gives me a little pizzazz that my confidence needs.  I have never fitted a mold and I have learned, in my aging, that it is not rebellion, it is merely a way to shore myself up. I still always find my ‘Tribe’.

We are unique in what we think, how we express those thoughts, and what our thoughts are based on.  We are good until we demand, or try to demand, that others think the way we do.  Covid has surely got this on the ticket.  I figure, if I am going to have an opinion, and share it, I better have the best experts’ information behind me…not conspiracy theories.  I learned something really important when at university.  I had a friend from another country.  We became fast friends.  We went out, as a group, to a single’s dance.  She had an oops moment and ended up going home with someone.  She ended up pregnant.  She wept.  She struggled.  She asked me about an abortion and my thoughts.  I have seven children (adopted two) and I am against abortion and had said so, yet, she came to me to help make her decision.  I had to have a long think.  I knew she was a single mother already, struggling with finances, struggling with classes at University.  She was in desperate situation, indeed.  I finally told her what I thought, for ME, not for her.  We talked long hours over the first few weeks.  I gave her what I thought were pros and cons, and she talked about what she thought were HER pros and cons.  I tried not to sway her either way.  I have always been so against abortion.  I had a hard time carrying babies.  I adopted two.  I have always, since tiny, loved babies.  I was secretly relieved when she chose to have the baby.  I promised I would help and I did, all the way through University. I learned that there are situations of that we may not even be aware of that make our own opinions, on such, invalid.  We are unique and each of us have been, and are, unique in unique situations. 

We are all on our own unique journeys to our own unique places.  We are having our own unique challenges.  We have to be true to ourselves.  Be different.  Be you!  Allow others to be themselves.  Develop the ways you are unique.  Be proud of them.  How boring would be the garden if every flower was the same. 

©Carol Desjarlais 2.7.22

 

No comments:

Post a Comment