Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Sparrow: Blessed Are the Common People

 

 



 

 


 

Why should I feel discouraged
Why should the shadows come
Why should my heart feel lonely
And long for heaven and home

When Jesus is my portion
A constant friend is He
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches over me
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me

I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches
I know He watches
I know He watches me

I sing because I'm happy
I sing because I'm free
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
His eye is on the sparrow
And I know He watches me (He watches me)
He watches me

 

There is a story, that, at crucifixion, there weas only a sparrow that flew off as Christ’s soul left his body.  In the beginnings of what would later be Christianity, the sparrow became the symbol of triumph after long suffering.  It followed down the centuries throughout the times of the dark ages when there was desperate peasantry who suffered to survive that the sparrows were invited and delighted in as triumph over all that held them down and their survival, nonetheless.  What we take for granted, today, as just a bothersome bird, or insignificant, was once a powerful symbol to have around.  Blessed are the poor.

The numbers of sparrows, no matter how predatorial life can be, has thrive in great numbers.  How often do we forget to see, what might be insignificant to us, as being full of survival and pride and lacking in dignity yet we so honor the eagle and other birds?  In their numbers do the little sparrows survive, yet, if you spend time watching them, they are working quickly to get things done, with a great deal of caution.    They are not bright in plumage nor loudly beautiful in their songs.  They are humble little beings that go about their work and their business without bothering to lay down their lives to their predators. 

We, so often forget what it has taken for us to survive another beath.  Many have been through things we do not even whisper about, yet, here we are, still living our lives as best we can, trying to stay out of the limelight.  The sparrow does not hide itself, nor its gift, in fear. It puffs up its little breast, waits out storms under the eaves, or sheltering limbs, and begins where it left off before that storm.    It does not drag its yesterdays with it. 

How many of us do not hear the voice of the sparrow?  Tell me, what does a sparrow sound like when it sings? 

 


 

Sparrows survive because they cling together and do not try to be out on their own without the help of others.  We all have our quiet strengths and those strengths are for the common good. 

If a sparrow has begged your attention, like this little one that come, daily, in the afternoons, and has met me outside so often that I can talk to it and get quite close now, it is reminding me/us to take caution, to be alert for a storm is brewing.  We are reminded to be diligent about our work and not to procrastinate for we are promised no tomorrows.  The Present if what is most important, this moment, this breath. Stay productive while you can.  Just because we are shut in does not mean we do not need to be productive.   Be useful to others.  Make an impact on your surroundings.  You matter.  Do not be so ungrateful that you do not honor yourself for having made it thus far. 

I am grateful for this little bird that stops by at my new feeder.  Her bright little eyes, he beating little breast, reminds me that all is well at this moment and I am at one with it.  Do not forget to notice the sparrows.  

©Carol Desjarlais 9.12.20

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment