Friday, December 18, 2020

Memorial Dance

 

 


 

Memorial Dance

I wear beads at my breasts
warmed by blood that courses
to rhythm of skin on skin songs
that lift feet from ground

a trill begins as growl
low, deep-throated, close to moaning
as I can muster in any meaningful way
to become a high-pitched plea

my head arches back as if searching sky
for relief to this serene supplication
to offer throat and soft-sunken hollows
to be caressed, or lifted to pulsar stars

swing of fringe and hip and shoulders
add to ecstasy of this beautiful movement
that holds me in soulful swell
to musical notes, wanting, oh, my god,
wanting, one high held howl
to be heard by harbingers

my hands hang on to a wing,
and I pull it to ancient amber,
hand-polished, like drum,
who has felt the hands of a master

I dance for my warrior, who watches
from heated heaven that is stirred
by my meaningful moves
in hopes his soul will slip back for a moment

©Carol Desjarlais 2007

Every year there is a Memorial Dance and Healing Dance for those who are grieving. I still enter the arbor to dance and I suppose, as long as I can dance, I will. It is the only way I know that I can seduce his spirit into coming back for a few moments of my absolute surrender to him. © 13 years ago 

There will be no dancing this year., But I will go outside and do the “waiting’ step that is a gentle up and down motion. I will wear my arm guard and shawl and we shall make movement under the Wolf Moon and dream us young again.


 

©Carol Desjarlais 15.12.20

https://allpoetry.com/poem/3073006-Memorial-Dance---HM-by-CarolDesjarlais

 

No comments:

Post a Comment