Sunday, August 13, 2023

Get the Gouache

 


 





 

If you have never tried Gouache, I highly recommend you do.  It has its own striking depth of color that really pops.   It dries quickly and dries with a matte finish.  You use water to awaken the paint.  It is a paint you work with like watercolors but is highly pigmented.  You build color up in layers.  The nice thing about gouache is that you can add water to a brush and correct mistakes. 

I like that you can water it down or use it as thick paint, almost like acrylics.  You can water it down and it works like watercolors.  Use it thickly and it is like acrylics.  Mixing colors of gouache can lead to it turning a brownish gray easily.  It is best to only mix green, yellow, blue, red gouache. 

Gouache is expensive, so getting a limited box or set of gouache colors.  I got an extra white because I use white often to change tone of colors.  I get a nice flesh color by mixing tiny bits of yellow and red with white. 

Gouache is lovely at layering.  The color gets more brilliant as you layer.  And, a bonus is that when layering, it dries quickly so that you can work again on the bottom color without having mixing happening…as long as you control the amount of water on your brush.  You get the same brilliant color.  If you use more water, you can get a beautiful blending of the colors.  I often use bright colors to a portrait and the blooming makes for a great effect.

Something that really helps make gouache my favorite medium is that, when you squeeze out a daub, it can dry and you can use it again at a later date by simply adding water. 

I suggest getting, as I said, a small set of few colors to give gouache a try.  I really love using it and love the different effects I can get with it.  I am totally addicted to using it now and consider it my most favorite medium. 

©Carol Desjarlais 8.13.23

No comments:

Post a Comment