Friday, May 15, 2020

Getting Our Proverbial Chite Together




Wow, this has been a cleansing moon and what a rough patch of cleansing it has been for me.  I am not myself and have not been for several months.  This year started out rough and it all had to do with relationships. And me….mostly me!  

I just do not understand myself.  I react quickly, I am defensive, and then I grapple with guilt, shame, confusion.  There may be something to the fact that emotional quirks can be exacerbated as we age.  Is that it?

I am sensing more symbolic gestures and language more than ever I did.  I know it is only my perception, but why on earth it is feeling defensive, I have only to research and I find that, yes, emotional things can cycle back and many can find themselves back in teenaged years of anxiety, of avoidance, of angst, of difficult relationship issues.  Compound this with isolation and everyday aging issues and we can find ourselves in a whole heap of angst.  This is not me.  I have been good at maintaining composure.  I am not resilient these last months, and I know it

It is a left-over of being betrayed, at the beginning of this year, and relationships have seemed to have fear and anxiety embedded into it all.  I feel unsafe speaking my truths and, even, being who I am/was/am.  With covid isolation, it seems to exacerbated it all and suddenly there feels like no safe person to talk to.  My world feels unstable and I am having huge trust issues, all the while, trying to maintain a semblance of someone that has their proverbial chite together.  I cannot let this become my norm as it is eating away at me and I am not one to feel powerless to change self.  

It is easy to point a finger outward, when, in reality, it is within, and one’s conscious level of ‘what will people think’ is huge and magnified and that thinking goes back to childhood.  It is easy to have our quiet little grievances go on within and we rehash it all to try to figure out how that happened.  I worry about consequences of standing up for myself, and when trying, it only gets worse, and so I stay silent.  Yes, it should not matter, but it is becoming common that miscommunication can happen on top of it all.   I sense the fear seeping in in quiet moments.  And, yes, betimes, there is anger that I squelch as I realize I have taken a huge step backwards in my ways of dealing with life.  It is weird how a chain of similar events can trigger all this, but it has.  

It seems my nervous system is overloaded in some way.  Truly, it is not that big a deal, but it feels like it.  I am not stuck here because I have tools and skills for working on self.  It will pass, but I should have done the inner work before this stacked up on me.  It is becoming a pattern and I am now defensive and in reaction-mode. 
This is the time I would have gone to the Medicine Man to get protection, but he has gone on and so now I need to work my own medicine.  I need to offer self-kindness and compassion.  All my relationships actually make me worry.  And I am way too far into the future rather than being present.  I need to ask my inner self why it fears what is not worth worrying about.  My ‘pleasing others’ self has come on stronger because I ignored my inner whisperings.  I misjudged some and the muddle has long-reaching effects. 
Sometimes we need to just stop and reflect on what is right, what is good, who is worthy of our kind of friendship and love.  Once, it was so easy to walk away.  I changed that, now I am dealing with needing to walk away.  I have no desire, now,  to make it right, I just need to let it feel right within.  

We can change anything about ourselves that we wish to change.  That is our divine right and ways.  I can change my reactions.  I can change my inner language to one of being at peace with walking away from such drudgery and spent work it took to try to help someone who did not desire help[ and health.  I can change how I think about it all after it is done.  All of us have choices.  We do not have to let someone else define us.  We know our truths.  We know what is best for us.  We can refuse to accept that which dragged us down, or that hurt us, without defense.  We never need to defend ourselves.  We, as I said, know our truths.  

I am going to be very careful with myself for a good long while and carefully make choices in the kind of friendships and relationships I have.  I think this is a type of grief, in reality.  Yes, I know grief well.  So, what does one need when I am grieving?  Space, time, compassion towards self.

Every time I write a blog, there is some kernel of truth that stands out.  If you blog, journal, draw, that can be a springboard for sorting out our proverbial chite.  See, when I worked, and a client came to me with such a problem, the above is what I would be talking with them about.  Ah, yes, we can heal our self.  Give yourself the counsel you would give a loved one.  Love yourself first and foremost.  

©Carol Desjarlais 5.15.20

No comments:

Post a Comment