Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Rainboots





Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. – author unknown


Springtime rains are my most favorite weather, and I have loved walking in that warm rain all my life.  In fact, Jeff Desjarlais wrote a song about it: “…can’t tell the raindrops from the paindrops, she loves walking in the rain…”  I am not sure how I figured it out, as a small child, but perhaps because there had been some abuse and I wished to be washed clean.  It evolved and, as an adult, I like to walk in warm rain to shut out the world so that I could muddle through something I was working on, emotionally.  It was a way, as I matured to wash away my burdens.  It has remained a balm to me.  It is a way of communing with Mother Nature in some ancient and primal way.

When I feel frustrated, and it is raining, I find it a way to close myself off and walk in sheets of rain as a way to clear my head and focus only on what frustrates me, and why.  As a macro-influence, warm rain can realize that there are things out of my control that can soothe me.  There is that earthy smell just before that kind of rain and then the gentle washing away of all smells but the heavy sense of water and earth mixing.  The stippling of the rain keeps me present.  The rhythm comforts me (but what I love best of all, at night, is being in a canvas tipi and hearing the steady soft drumbeat of the sky falls onto the canvas... ahhh, heaven). Suddenly the sounds take over and the lack of any other background noise allows open space for clearing negativity and focusing in on the positive.   

While most people would say rain is depressing, the gray sky is saddening, and there is a melancholy sense to it, it does not affect me in that way.  I have a sense of sky and earth being more one and I am one within it.


After drawing my painting in light pencil, I drew my painting in charcoal and then used a fine wet brush to blur the sharper lines.



I, then, sealed it better with clear gesso.



I began blocking in colors.
 




I do not know why I painted an umbrella in this because I know better than using an umbrella in most of the places I have lived.  It creates negative pressure underneath it and your face becomes bombarded by small biting flying insects. And it does not look right anyways.  But, I cannot get rid of it now.

The puddles were easier to do and I loved working to try to get them to look like puddles.  





In the end, I used charcoal to outline and deepen shadows.  I sprayed Mod Podge Matte Medium and called it done. 

Rain on.  Bring on the rain.  I could use it right now. 

  Today is Wednesday – once called Wisdom Day.  It is supposed to rain all day.  Happily I am going outside to paint in under the gazebo top and listen to the rhythm of the rain..

 
©Carol Desjarlais 4.22.20

 

2 comments:

  1. I can almost smell the rain while reading this Carol. I also love rain, when I was a child I lived with my parents in the country and after a certain kind of rain (still a mystery to me what the special time of rain was), but my mother always knew when to take a bucket and we would go into the paddocks to fine fresh mushrooms all over certain paddocks. It seemed like a small miracle to me as a child. Also, in Australia, the first coming of the rain up north (they call it the 'big wet') puts a smell in the air which is unique.. I think it's a mixture of gum leaves and eucalyptus leaves and wet grass wafting on the breeze of where the rain has first passed. It's a smell I'll never forget.. "the coming of the rain smell". Currently I live in a house with a galvanised roof and the sound of the rain on the roof at night in winter is amazing to fall asleep with. (I should have written my own blog with all this writing). I love your blogs and your art steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. And now, I spend these next nights with our hearts full of rain. xoxoxo

      Delete