Sunday, December 4, 2022

Salmon: What Are You Willing to Sacrifice Without Being A Victim?

 


 

It takes self-discipline to sacrifice without feeling like a victim.  I think we are all okay with doing small deeds of kindness and thoughtfulness.  Some of us may even do noble things, like volunteering or contributing to funds that help other groups, cultures, etc.  Salmon teaches us a great deal about sacrifices.

They were the main source of food for the Northwest Coastal people.  It is believed, by them, that the salmon belongs to them and they belong to the salmon.  Salmon symbolize heart and soul of their culture.  They believe, if the salmon all die off, so will the people.  They are their cultural and spiritual identity.

When salmon return to spawn, there are great ceremonies and the people feel safe and renewed.  Salmon represents a sense of place, as well.  The salmon being honored is carried down through the generations.  The bones are returned to the waters to show that there is great gratitude and respect given.  If these ceremonies die, a culture dies.  Salmon sacrifice themselves to ensure new generations.  We, the people, receive the gifts of salmon, gratefully and with great respect. 

We, as a people can learn a great deal from this kind of sacrifice.  If we do not sacrifice for others, we die, too.  We leave behind us, our deeds.  This can be a scary thing for me.  I hope I have done enough good deeds to leave such a legacy.  If we are of no good to others, to ourselves, even, we are living a very dim light behind.  We would be easily forgotten. 

Often, we think of sacrifice as a negative.  We lose something.  But there are many kinds of sacrifices.  We can sacrifice time, work, wealth, happiness, our wishes and desires, and, every time a woman gives birth, she is, in reality, offering up her life for that new birth.  To get what we want in life, there has to be sacrifices.

Selfless actions, gestures, and sometimes we do lose something that is precious to us and it is up to us to make that kind of sacrifice worthy.  Our life is always about decisions.  If we do not sacrifice, we may never receive.  It takes self-control not to give too much.  It can have many meanings to you, to me, and to every individual. 

What do we sacrifice for our own joy, for the joy of others?  We grow from such discipline that it takes to be willing to give up something in order to have something else.  Sacrifice can change lives.  Sacrifice can give greater meaning to living.  In reality, it is easy to exist but hard to live. 

Every relationship requires sacrifices of many kinds.  Last week, I was counseling a intellectually, mentally, challenged person who was bucking against others being “boss” of him.  He is middle aged but intellectually, maturity-wise, I am guessing, a ten-year-old.  He has begun to balk against being told what he should do and to make better choices.  I explained to him that there will always be a “boss” in his life, just like there is in everyone’s life… yes, mine too.  Sometimes, I explained, The Bee Man is boss and sometimes I am.  He said, “But (The Bee Man) is a good boss”.  I explained that it was not always good, for either of us being boss, but that we learn how to make peace by sacrificing things for each other.  He is a ten-year-old struggling for independence when that may never be something that he can have.  I tried to explain how to give in sometimes to keep peace.  Any of us would give our lives for something, someone, some place.  I have my youngest son as an active officer in the army.  He and his family sacrifice.  He did sacrifice his safety and go to Afghanistan.  We all sacrificed with him.  I’d have rather not, but, it was his dream and his belief that keeping others land safe for them was worth dying for.    The best of our traits is that there are worthy things we would sacrifice for. 

Every parent, even the ones that were not great, had to sacrifice betimes.  Those who work out of the home sacrifice homelife for making money to take care of their family.  When one prospers, others prosper.  It does not mean that all sacrifices lead to the best.  Sometimes the sacrifices are so great that it takes time to receive the blessings.  That is a hard journey into sacrifice. 

What would you be willing to sacrifice all for?  I can think of my seven children and many grandchildren.  I can think of friends I would sacrifice greatly for.  I already sacrifice a great deal for many.  As I age, I am afraid to be a burden knowing that others will have to sacrifice things for me...whether I live with my daughter or whether I live in care... someone is giving up something to care for me.  That is a hard pill to swallow, as a receiver.  But, in their sacrifice, is there not rewards?

What would you sacrifice much for?  What does the salmon’s sacrifice teach you?

©Carol Desjarlais 12.4.22

 

No comments:

Post a Comment