Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Caribou And Full Cold Moon

 


 

Your crown has been bought and paid for. Put it on your head and wear out loud and proud.

The Moon is Full Cold Moon and there will be an alignment of Sun, Moon, Earth and Mars.  It only happens once every fourteen years.  Mars, for me, will disappear at 6:55 PST and appear at 7:52 PST.  What a sight to be able to see as long as Mother Nature clears the night skies for me.    Gemini takes over with her curiosity and need to express our authentic self to create balance of past present and future.    Time for  Self-reflection.

What lessons have you learned the past year, what obstacles have you overcome, and what a hero are you for being able to do this?

Caribou, the word, was once “yalipu”, which meant snow shoveler, in Algonquin.  Caribou shovel snow with feet and antlers to get at the vegetation below the snow.  When the French missionaries showed up, they could not say the word correctly so the name became “Caribou”.  There ability to endure under the coldest temperatures that can be, is incredible.  Did you know that Caribou meat can freeze and thaw and freeze and thaw, even as food meat, and be safe for consumption?  I learned this when living in the furthest North that I lived, up near the barren lands of the Dene.  They join in great herds of thousands and thousands, to migrate down to warmer lands to give birth.  As well, their eyesight changes so that they can see during the dark days and nights of constant darkness of the North.   They are dark blue in winter and golden yellow in summer.  They adapt to circumstances.  Caribou reminds us that we can adapt, too.  We need to gather at this time, of course, during celebrations.  To the Dene, still, in the far North, Caribou are their lifeforce.  The best pemmican I have ever had is Caribou with its sweet, light, meat. Both male and female grow horns and sometimes their crowns are taller than they are.  They shed their antlers:  the males n winter and the females in spring.  In this, they teach us that loss can be positive. 

It took the caribou a long time to change to be able to deal with harsh Mother Nature’s forces.  They remind us that there are no quick fixes and that our problems are not about only one issue.  A toxic relationship of one has a domino effect of all.  What is healthy for one is healthy for all.  They teach us not to give up and to adapt.  They teach us to endure and although there will be failures, of sorts, you can still endure and find goodness.  They teach us to use our insight and to listen to our intuition.

I learned a great deal about endurance in the North.  I learned when to go.  I had always said I would die in the North but then the lessons I had been working on, to change, to do what is best for me and mine, took a great loss and I knew that I needed to come south, without feeling like a failure by leaving after two years, and feeling like I knew how to adapt, and did.  It was the very best move to make me available for the Universe to bring to me one of the greatest gifts of my lifetime.  

Be a caribou.  Slap that crown on your head and thrive.

©Carol Desjarlais 12.7.22

 

No comments:

Post a Comment