Sunday, August 25, 2019

Journaling Anxiety









“Man is not worried by real problems so much as by his imagined anxieties about real problems” Epictetus

I believe that many women have Everyday PTSD, for myriads of reasons.  I think it is in our very genes to worry, to be stressed, to be anxious.  Every ad in magazines, on billboards, on cards through stores, movies, on television tells us we are not enough.  We think of a dozen things at once and at least one of those thoughts is the list of things you have to do today, or else...or else what?  The thought of not being, doing, having enough and then add real life stressors, and you can become panicked.  Sometimes stressors are so bad that you feel anxiously hopeless, anxiously overwhelmed.

I know that I deal with a great deal of anxiety.  I manage as long as nothing untoward happens.  Add untoward to my list of problems to solve and I become frantic in some ways.  I have always been anxious.  I know why life makes me anxious since I was a young child.  I learned not to trust, not to feel safe, not to feel protected.  For many many years I felt like it was me against the world, against God.  But, as I have aged, and because of my artistic hours, I have learned how to release stress:  Art journaling and art, itself, has saved me.  No meditation, yoga, therapy could have ever helped me better than creating. 

Sometimes life can grab you by your throat until you can hardly breathe.  Sometimes you feel like nothing will ever be okay again.  I swear to you, doing whatever art you can, will help you get through.  There is something soothing about journaling and it will bring you to a clam place, to a place of clear thinking, to a place where you regain control of your lizard brain.  Yes, that limbic system that is as old as dinosaurs, as old as first woman who knew only fight or flight.  

We can only force our thoughts elsewhere, for so long.  We can only deny them for so long, but the anxiety will only return full force because we have to stop suppre3ssing our anxiety and start using up the adrenaline and put it somewhere.  Where better than an art journal, or written or collaged, or whatever method you can, to get it out and down where there is easement. 

Consider what person, place, or thing(s) make you anxious.  For me, I begin to sweat bullets just thinking something is going wrong with my computer, or filling out forms, or something new, being in a big crowd.  Some things you just have to do no matter that they make us anxious.  I tend to do all the wrong things, as I wait until a deadline is almost over then I buckle in and get the dang thing done.  Perhaps it is part of my stalling and, since I work well under stress (man can I get things done then) but, I work on this every time it comes to terrorize me.  But, art soothes me.  Art journaling is different than doing fine art or more sophisticated art with more art-centered substrates and paints.  Art journaling is faster and, for me, becomes fodder for later true art pieces.  Art journaling seems to free up space in my head, as well, so I do not easily become overwhelmed.  A huge benefit is that journaling truly helps us work out our own chite rather than find food, drink, drugs, or whatever else we might turn to to relieve ourselves.  It also helps us come to a new understanding of Self.   

For the above art journal page, I simply scribbled until there was relief.  I know the egg shape of a face.  I know the eyes come half way down the face.  I know the nose is halfway between the tip of the nose and the tip of the chin.  I know there is a neck.  Scribbling over and over and over, can lead you to discover shapes you never thought you could do.  Then, I used chalk to smear color where I thought color should be.  Can you see how this repeating action can help relieve stress?  Think about people who are knee-jogg4ers.  They sit near you and you can feel the floor, table, whatever move at the panic'd pace that their knees bounce.  They may not know it, but the bouncing of knees relieves adrenaline.  Notice how many people do that.  Some people tap their fingers.  Some whistle.  Some hum.  When 9ur body has too much adrenaline, the body knows it has to find relief and we can do strange things to relieve it.  In the old days, my mother baked bread.  I house-cleaned like a frenzied mad-woman.  I am grateful I found art journaling and art because it is sooo fulfilling when I am done getting stuff out. 

For today's page, how about considering the kinds of things, as I said, that make you want to jump out of your skin.  Scribble to your heart's content.  Whatever becomes of it, it is!  No perfect anything but letting off some steam.  Leave space for write out how it feels after you have completed the page/or not.  In that space you can find some logic for your anxiety.  You know what it is.  How can you solve it?  What is the horrible thing that you were afraid would happen?  What is the best outcome?  Sometimes what you write or add to the page will argue with  your Ego/Evil Inner Witch/Inner Critic.. oh, there are many names you can call her.  What lesson have you learned from that which brought you into this anxious state?    Is anxiety a state where you are paralyzed or where you become frantic? Maybe anxiety is a pattern of yours.  The fear is not unknown.  You would not be anxious if your brain did not know what the worst is that could happen.  But, most times, it never did.  In the end of it, you are still standing.  Look at your strengths.  Putting your energy down on paper, no matter how you do it, you got it down and you got through.  That is the blessing of art journaling/journaling.  You empower yourself.  You need no crutches.  You simply used scribbling as a way to express whatever it is that is driving you. 

So, have a go.  See if you can create what your anxiety looks like through scribbling.

©Carol Desjarlais 8.25.19

No comments:

Post a Comment