Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Curiosity of Creatives

 

 


We enrich our lives when we are observant enough to be curious, to take the time to be curious, and use our curiosity in our artistic endeavors.  Underneath the whirly durly busyness of everyday life are things to be curious about.  As an artist, we are constantly experimenting:  “I wonder what will happen if I______?”  We try, we succeed/fail, and then tend to take it further…” well, then, what if I now ____?”  Mixed Media and art journaling leads to me being more curious and problem-solving, I think. 

I believe one of our sister-friends, here, is a great example of an Artistic Creative.  Kelly Donovan sees a problem, and works around until she solves it.  She is one you should all definitely subscribe too

https://www.youtube.com/@knittingandthings

I, too, am a lifelong learner.  I want to know how things work, why things work, wonder if things might work.  As I experiment and test out ideas to problem solve, I can hit on something that is new to me and I become even more interested. \ It keeps me from having “white-outs” (those times we can hit that are like artistic burn-out where there is no flow of old or new ideas). 

I believe we, as artists and creatives, live in a “wonder” land.  It is like something in life is a beautiful thing and we are trying to solve what it is.  Every time we put pencil or paint to substrate, we are solving a problem using something deep inside us that expresses, sometimes, what we can not find words for.  We express our curiosity, our wonder, in order to, perhaps, to tell the story of our wonder.   It is unique and it is holy work. 

We work from intuition.  Our intuition is that there is something we have been curious about and we create things, from the most sacred space we have, our soul.

Did you think it was nothing more than scribbling, with no other purpose than color, shape, texture, space, line, form or value?  In fact, we do not even think of these consciously.  We simply know them… have known them since we were able to hold a tool for artmaking.  How does such happen?

©Carol Desjarlais 4.18.23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment