Tuesday, August 16, 2022

What Moves You?

 


 

“Sometimes removing yourself from all forms of civilization provides just the empty canvas you need.  Maybe you crave the extra time and space to think through a project and you just can’t get it in the urban jungle.  Take a short walk on the beach or a week-long camping trip in the woods.  Bring your supplies in case you feel inspired or leave them at home so you’ll have fresh ideas to work on when you return.”

– Lynn Gordon

The very thought of fall sends chills down my spine.  Winter surely comes with a blast and all my outside lovelies have to be put to bed.  I am already missing them. I dread cold.  I spent too many “winter-less” years and miss all that entails as well.  In the last four years, since we stopped going to Yuma for the winter, AND sold the motorhome, I have had to make peace with winter.

I bought some good boots and have some beautiful winter clothing; my First Nations cape is one thing I adore.  I have felted gloves a girlfriend in Maine made me (Rose).  I can brave having to go out for shopping, etc, as long as I can be warm.

 

I have learned to prepare some winter art projects.  I have fallen in love with diamond painting and warm room and the steady puzzle of placing the diamonds has become a great meditative winter project.  I make sure I have all the tools and things I need to work on projects.  I, also, make cards during the winter and have all the toys needed to do that.  I even happily anticipate doing these creative endeavors and I do enjoy the quiet that comes.

 

Another thing I do in winter, and makes me enjoy such, is that I love to try out new recipes.  I love to make breads and I make a deadly good sour dough bread and other artisan breads. 

 

https://hostessatheart.com/sourdough-bread-recipe/

 

Nothing feels more comforting than fresh bread newly out of the oven.

I save some bath salts and bubbles and such for warm winter bathes.  I have a candle in the shower and winter seems the only time I bathe.  I simply hurry and shower during the other seasons.  I save such for winter so that it is like a seasonal treat for me.

 

And, there is art and creating new things.  I keep a list of paintings I want to try.  I make sure I have lots of canvases and supplies so that I can let my inspiration run havoc. 

 

Winter is the time for dreaming, for meditation, for storytelling.  I am trying to fill my creative space with new ionsprations and project materials.  As always., I will share what I do.  I have had some Pouring Mediums I meant to use up.  Perhaps this winter when the snow is crispy and I sense myself getting bitter like the bitterly cold outside, I will find ways to love the snowy outside.  Perhaps I will get bored enough inside, to move to walk amidst the drifts and icy-breathed beauty.  Perhaps I will captue photos of said beauty.  Perhaps...it is easy to say Maybe when it ois toasty summer's night.

Carol Desjarlais 8.16.22

 

I started this page by drawing a circle mid-substrate, cutting it out and then began another substraate which would end up with a moon center page.



 I lightly taped the circle back over the circle drawn on the substrate and used my brayer to apply background color.  After rolling, I took the circle off.


 some play with stencils, inks and pens gave me three feathers plus a cluster of white feathers around the moon that I had drawn a dak line around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment