Sunday, May 5, 2019

Cinco de Mayo - the Day of the Dead












Mexican pride against all odds is what should be celebrated in the fifth of May.  In order to really celebrate Cinco de Mayo is to celebrate it with the real people.  The Americans have taken a holiday and made it all about rowdy drinking and few even know why it is celebrated, they jsut use it as an excuse to celebrate.  In fact, it is only celebrated in small areas in Mexico any more.  What it is really all about is the Battle of 1862 when Mexican army and the people, faced 3 to 1 defeated the invading French forces in Puebla, Mexico.  The war was one, but Mexican Pride was expressed in the willingness of the indigenous men and women who fought that battle.  It should not be forgotten any more than our civil battles.  American is North, United, Central, and Southern.  We so often forget.  Sometimes our pride gets in the way and we think of selves as the only Americans. We are not.  Turtle Island does not belong to any of us.  We own absolutely nothing on it.  We only own our souls down here.  

Why are we so egocentric as to think we are the only ones with pride?  How many of us even follow our ancestral cultural braveness?  Who are our ethnic heroes?  How have we become a culture of movie star heroes?  Yes, yes, I have many sister friends who are heroes.  Some are here and some are all over the world, really.  Perhaps I long for ethnic heroes and that is why I have moved into studying and expressing the goddesses that belong to my Celtic and Norse backgrounds.  Perhaps it is why I am drawn to such things.  Does one's soul long for that?  I think so.

We are so lost from our cultures, our ethnic ways.  I am going to be trying to develop more knowledge about the Vikings/Norse and the people of the land where my Nose DNA comes from.  This I can do to build my own pride in my ethnic heroes.  Can you do this?  I am sure it will be an eye-opener for us all.  Google is but a click away.  Go seek some Pride, sisters! 

©Carol Desjarlais 5.5.2019

Watch Coco   clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpBt5STusE

No comments:

Post a Comment