Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Carol’s Humble Art Journaling 101: Words and Re-dos

 

 


 

As I said, “A page is not done until it is done”.  At some point, we can go back and redo or touch up things about a page we want to add to or change.  One of those things is adding words or writing.  I seldom write on a page I have done or the feelings behind the creation of said page.     I find quotes, word strips, words I cut out of books or magazines.  I write words (but, as per numb fingers, I am not great at writing so I avoid that or find ways to hide the fact that my writing is not great. 

I am back at a page we did earlier in the week.  I love this page, actually, and I do not want to wreck it but then I remember…” Not too precious…not too precious”.  



 

HINT:  I have been collecting bits and bobs for years.  I have an old large binder that I save all sorts of things in.  Some of those things are words and phrases. 

 

I also found a whole bunch of word strips at the thrift store.  Sometimes I make word strip sheets in my word program, use a fancy font and print that off.  Magazines hold a wealth of words.

I added three words (remember the formula of three and odd numbers?)  and while rummaging through words and phrases, I happened upon some vellum.  It is beautiful and fits the page.  Of course, the pieces begged to be added. 

 



Some scribbly black lines and circles around the words and added bits helps to anchor them into the design.  It, also, brought out the words to better focus amidst the busy background. 

 




Next, I did some journaling with a fine ink pen.  Most times I leave space for adding writing.  I know why I made the page.  You know how you look at some work you, mother, grandmother did and you have the sensory memory appear with it?  The same is with art journal pages.  I, instantly, knew what space I was in when I made this page.  I could write about it or not but there is such a beautiful space to write in.  I have said that I do not hand write well, so there are ways to cover it.  Drawing some non-parallel lines and writing within to match the space you have made helps to disguise poor handwriting for me.  I do the lines in pencil so I can erase them later if I wish.

 


 

I am calling this one good and turn to the next unfinished page.

I thought to create some interest in the background. All of the circles are just sitting there.  I can add some interest by using a fine black pen by going around each blob and maybe doing some zentangling in the background.

 


Hint:  Zentangles are a meditative tangle of doodling that makes patterns on a page that are almost intuitive.  It is very healing to do this type of artwork.

https://zentangle.com/pages/what-is-the-zentangle-method

In this background zentangle, I have done a simple one where I circle each dot and try not to lift my pen from one circle to the next as I join them.  I only lift when I can go no further without lifting.  You repeat parts of the circles to find the direction to go to the next circle.  It adds interest without being too overpowering with the background.

I decided to do some zentangling in her hair because her hair looks like a helmet to me.  A bit of doodling in directions hair would go, a set of three dots on her upper eyelids, five dots on the curve up her upper chin, and odd number of dots around her collar and voila!  I am done!

I forgot the light of life… that small dot in the pupils.

After doing this, you may feel done with those pages.  You have learned more ways to make marks.  Art is merely making marks.  Mark on, sisterfriends.

©Carol Desjarlais 4.7.21

 

https://joyfulartjournaling.com/38-joyful-quotes-for-your-art-journal/

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment