Saturday, April 3, 2021

Carol’s Humble Art Journaling 101 -Symbol-Searching from the ‘Deep Within’

 

 


 

All it takes is some paper and something to make marks and color with.  This art journal page was my search for what symbols might show up in my art as personal symbols.  You draw a circle, make a mar swirl from one corner to the other and keep going until you fill it some way, whatever happens happens.    Be playful and curious and spontaneous.  I then sought out shapes and signs and symbols and voila!  There it was… one of my main symbols that shows up in a great deal of my art-making….eyes.  Doodling is a great way to start out and build from.  I used cheap felt pens to color in and then sat with the page a while and found that it is true.  I am an eye-watcher. 

We can say we are not creative but we are creating every day in some way.  Art journaling is used for art therapy and you will find that releasing expression in this way can help you figure self out and to figure out problems and solutions.  It is a way to access the Deep Within.  For me, arting is communion with my spirit.  My art is a way to meditate, to pray.  I get lost in it and it gives me comfort when comfort is needed.   

Art journaling allows for play, for experimenting, for risk-free, cheap, ways of expressing self without giving the whole secret away.  It helps us focus on things we should focus on from the Deep Within.  It can be as expensive to do as you wish, or as cheap.  I suggest cheap to begin with and as you go along, you will discover new products to try and always new ways of expression. 

 Art journaling is risk free.  Nothing is precious... there is always another blank page.  You can do one in five minutes, you an spend hours… it is all up to you and how it takes over you and you fall into that deep meditative, sweet, peaceful place you go to when you are creating. 

If you find this year has robbed you from some of your focus, you can learn ways to keep focus through art journaling.  Sometimes all a journal page will be is a to do list, a grocery list, and want list, a way to remember things.  Have you ever picked up something of your past and you are taken right back there?  That is how these pages will affect you in the long future, too.  When we are fully engaged in arting, we can think through things more clearly.  We can take things to heart and they will take root in your soul.  

Give symbol searching a go and see what shows up.

©Carol Desjarlais 4.3,.21

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment