Friday, April 9, 2021

Carol’s Humble Art Journaling 101 – Let’s Talk Words

 

 


 

“…for no other reason, but for this, that others might know I have not lived this life as if a dream.” – Richard Hooker

Some people choose a word right at the beginning of the year and this word would be the theme of the journal.  I have done that, but lose it, like most New Year’s Resolutions, by week’s end.  You can get lists of words, as challenges, on many of the artistic sites.  Some choose a word a day.  Some choose quotes.  When one adds writing to a page, it needs to be good handwriting or good collaging.

Using words and quotes can help break into that blank page with an idea, or, at least, a beginning.  It is meant to energize one’s art journaling.  Some use religious words.  Some use empowering words.  Some use swear words.  It all depends on what will drive your intention for a page, or, at the very least, the first marks on the page.

 

I have had a quote that I keep fresh in my mind all the time.  I have had this quote, as a mantra, for many many years.  It says:

“…for no other reason, but for this, that others might know I have not lived this life as if a dream.”

It has been important to me that I live and breathe this quote, in every way possible.  

 


 

For this page, I have used black gesso, but you can use black chalk paint, black acrylics, black crayons…whatever black way to color a page.  I am going to focus this page on my quote for a lifetime.


 

I am using sharpies and other pens for the first part of this page.  I did some doodling of Old Chief Mountain and some of the buildings in my home town.  It can be as primal as you wish it to be, or as detailed, but I have used the doodling on the bottom third of the page, or close to it. 

 


Once you have some doodling done, then you can add your quote on the page.  I whited out a shape and will be doing the quote within that shape.  Simply decorate the page with doodling and color.


 

This page speaks of my childhood home, of being a child who was “precocious”, was adventurous, who was quite the ‘loner’ little girl with dreams in her head.  None could have guessed who I would become… least of all, myself.  

In this page is my story.  I know it by heart.  I do not have to speak to make it known.  It says to me I have lived life not lived a dream.

Can you find a quote that speaks to something deep and meaningful ... perhaps a quote that has guided you along your way or speaks to that lifelong journey of yours?  Try doing a page like this.  It needs no other journaling.  It will speak volumes to you and it is you that matters.

©Carol Desjarlais 4.9.21

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment