Monday, April 19, 2021

Carol’s Humble Art Journaling 101: DIY Stamps

 

 

One of my favorite things to do is to make my own stamps. 

Of course, you can carve stamps out of pink erasers or you can cut stamps out of lino. But you can also make quick stamps by using sticky-backed craft foam, a ballpoint pen, something to trace or you can hand draw, scissors and a hard thick piece of cardboard for a backing.  You can make the stamps as decorative or as plainly as you wish.

I made many many stamps of the goddess dancing, etc., because I couldn’t find any.   I have also used found stamps. 

HINT:  Found stamps are things around your house like favor cups, cough medicine cups, cookie cutters, twigs leaves, feathers, netting, lace, nuts, bolts, combs, potatoes, anything that you can make a print with. 

This is a quick video I did for someone who asked for me to show her how to do this. 


 

You can use inks or acrylics to wash onto your stamp or press your stamp on and then make your print.  You can draw out a face shape and placement for features and you can stamp a face on a page and then paint it.



 

For one art journal project, I needed a door.  I did not have a door stamp, of course, that looked like an old cottage door, so I made one.  


 

Give an artist a problem to solve and she is sure to find a solution.  This was one of my solutions

 

Remember one of the first pages I did with this art journal?  I did not like the writing to show so I added a door over it.  I used double-sided tape to the edge of the door. There, it is more private.  At some point, I will find some little brass door hinges or something to attach the door more to the page. 

 ***More done for the Goddesses



©Carol Desjarlais 4.18.21

No comments:

Post a Comment