Thursday, April 15, 2021

Carol’s Humble Art Journaling 101: Facing Down A Blank Page – Masking Tape background

 

 

 


For this page, we will be using masking tape on background.


 

Using your stencil from the last page, trace only the outside lines of the face and torso on heavier paper.  I used cardstock.  Then cut out the whole shape.

I have an idea in mind so I have made my silhouette into a boy one (the ears are the give away.).

HINT:  you can make your own silhouettes by simply finding a magazine picture or etc. and tracing around the shape with printer paper anon a window or with deli paper.  Then cut out your shape on a good stiffer paper.  You can use it over and over and over.


 

Place the shape on your page and tape the background areas, making sure that you do not have the tape down on to the silhouette too much.  Put down the tape so that it is as straight up and down and possible. 

 



Using a brown washable felt pen, draw around the boy silhouette. 

 


Next, I used some nutmeg acrylic to wipe down the page over the tape.  Do a part of the page, top to bottom, then wipe down with a paper towel. It looks like wood.

Next move into the face.  This will be all about the ephemera that I add to the background so I will not be doing a complete face painting.  I put down a base of cream on the face, did the neck a flesh color, and did his shirt a red, then blotted to imprint in the shirt.

Next, I used some nutmeg acrylic to wipe down the page over the tape.  Do a part of the page, top to bottom, then wipe down with a paper towel. It looks like wood.

Next move into the face.  This will be all about the ephemera that I add to the background so I will not be doing a complete face painting.  I put down a base of cream on the face, did the neck a flesh color, and did his shirt a red, then blotted to imprint in the shirt.

When the page was really dry, I traced around the silhouette with a charcoal pencil and drew in facial features. 

 


Next is to paint the face, and thinking to add freckles, of course.  I do a light wash over the face, allowing the charcoal to help be part of the painting.   

 


Finishing off the boy’s face, adding shadows, darks and lights, a bit of color on his lips and then decided to give him a cap.  


 

I wanted a gone fishin’ page but the only stickers I had were vacation stickers.   Had bought a machine that will make stickers for me, but I simply do not have the energy to make them yet.

©Carol Desjarlais 4.15.21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment