Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Carol’s Humble Art Journaling 101: Not Quite Washi Tape

 

 



Washi Tape. Japanese washi tape is made from rice paper and is one of the must-haves in my art journaling kit! It is removable and can be torn with the fingers or tape - yet is surprisingly strong.   It can be used to add pattern and color, to adhere ephemera inside your journal and add bits of visual interest.

HINT:  the non-rice paper washi tape you get from the dollar Store is not true washi tape, either.  To be real washi tape, it needs to be rice paper.  I did not have rice paper, so, yes, this washi tape we are making is not true washi.

These tapes are not tear-able like usual washi tape, but they work beautifully. I used Deli paper, Masking tape, Mod Podge or Gel Medium, Freezer paper or wax paper.

 


First, I paint a piece of deli paper and let it dry.  Then I begin stamping and/or making marks on top of the first layer of paint.  The next layer I used some Color Shift, lightly, to give the paper some shimmer.  Let dry.

 



Lay out some Freezer paper, the shiny side up and tape some strips of tape to the freezer paper. 

 


Then measure the width of the tape you are using and draw strips on the colored paper.   


 

Cut the strips.


 

Then spread some Mod Podge or Matte Medium carefully and exactly on a strip and then lay a colored strip down on top of the mod podge and press it down.  Continue until you fill the tapes.

 

Another thing you can do is use book paper, then use color of some kind, (I used water soluble oil crayons) then cut and repeat how you put the colored paper down.

I repeat the same with music sheets of paper.

I tried using tissue paper and napkins

I printed on sticker paper and cut the strips in different widths.

I drew on the ends of the sticker paper.

I tested to make sure the complete and taped washi tape would come off the freezer paper and it did.  

HINT:  If you lift it  bit to check and it is difficult to get off the freezer paper, then you may have used masking tape that is old or not true masking tape.

 


***Notice the SHE.

I went back to a page that I said I would come back to, to finish.  I was stymied as to what to do next.  And here is what to do next.  I used some of my “Not Quite Washi Tape” on the corners of the dancing girl I printed in last lesson, and made a circle for the journaling. 

©Carol Desjarlais 4.20.21

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment