Thursday, July 2, 2020

The FEY





“There is a saying in Sweden that “the elves are dancing in the mist,” a result of their ethereal beauty and grace. More often portrayed as female, elves were said to inhabit the meadows and forests of Scandinavia, where they were sometimes portrayed as tiny fairies, transparent spirits or almost human. Despite their portrayal in movies as eternally good and just, in Scandinavian folklore, they could be either good or wicked. Some elves were said to bewitch hapless humans and steal their life force, whilst others were characters in tales of forbidden love.” – Joanna, What Lies Beyond


a little breeze – a sparkly light
pink dawn pulled back – by flickers of sparkle
a glimpse of movement – from corner of eye
a flower moving – without sweet breeze
a Precious moved - from whence it was placed
I’ve known you there – amidst the bloomings
I feel your presence – though I cannot see
-         cd


I reverence Mother Earth and her blossoms and magic.  I am of Celtic/ Nordic Stock.  I have a wish for fairies, but I have happened upon the most interesting little tiny hummingbirds and tiny hummingbird moths and can certainly see how that sudden appearance, could be attributed to such.  I know little things get moved, yes.  I have seen flickering in the peripheral vision.  I have seen sparkles where there was none upon examination.  Perhaps they are there.  Perhaps!


I know of Cree ‘little people’, who may be a tribe of fairy folk, as applied by English interpretations, who are those tricksters that move my stuff from where I put it, not old age, indeed.  Of course, it is wonderful to believe in Majik!  


Perhaps is a string of DNA that allows me to consider such, as my Paternal grandparents came from Norway, and further back, Sweden.   Perhaps it is why I am drawn to ancient Goddesses, to animals, to the moon, the sea and the stars.  There is a sacredness to my connection.


I have a granddaughter that I recognized as ‘fey’ as soon as I met her after she was born.  She is otherworldly in her look and actions.  I knew she was autistic as I have had training in such and, although my son fought it tooth and nail, testing showed she was functioning autistic.  She has the most ephemeral look to her.  She is laughing and quick and sparkly all the time unless she has a meltdown, but that is not often.  She can slip into her own happy place at the first note of “Frozen”, in fact, when her daddy, my youngest son, and his beautiful wife got married, the DJ put on the Frozen song and she got out, alone, on the dance floor and did the whole dance as if on stage and she the main dancer.  It was unearthly beautiful, her in her beautiful wedding attire, and it was mesmerizing to watch her do her self-taught ballet on her stage.  She is the one looking out into the forest she had been in whispering to the trees and flowers.  She is the oldest of the blended family of 7 children (last three were spontaneous triplets and there were 7 under the age of 7). She would not speak at all until she was 3 turning 4, so, while I was there for a month, helping her mother, I knew how to teach her to speak.  We would go outside, where she always wanted to be and found comfort from, and we watched birds flying from tree to tree.  She studied them in such a focused way and I repeated “Birds fly!  Within half an hour she pointed and spoke those two words and from there, by the end of the month, she had asked for more words and we played that game twice a day.  Once she started, she did not stop using complete sentences.  She is painfully shy and does not deal with emotions in a way that most children would.  Being around her is soul-food.  The sparkle in her eyes is stunning.  The last photo shows her leaf art that won a city prize.  See that sparkle?  She is super intelligent (of course, you must be to have the autism spectrum) and she adores her grandma as much as grandma adores her.  I recognize and honor the Fey in her.

 
Do you believe in The Fey?

©Carol Desjarlais 7.1.20

No comments:

Post a Comment