Saturday, May 13, 2023

Saving Grace: Art As Soul Food

 


 

 “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life”. – Pablo Picasso

There is not a woman alive who does not like some kind of art.  Art adds beauty to life, adds joy, adds interest to life.  When an artist is working on art, we uncover things about our soul, our inner life, and sometimes, the dark that is there.  Just viewing art of some kind affects us and art works on us even as we work on it.

 As an artist, I do not see the messes I make when I am creating.  My soul is at work.  Sometimes the work is painful.  Creating an art piece might be uncovering the wounds as well as the wellness.  It is as if the soul takes over, and we are lost in a time warp of creation.  It brings to the substrate something we may need to work on.  We are communicating our inner life to the outside world.  It often expresses things we cannot put words to.  It heals.

Doing art of any kind, creating, gives a depth to life and we are bound to a memory, a moment in some past time, or some future time.  It gives expression to hopes and dreams.  It is comforting.

If I ever felt at one with myself and the Universe, it is while doing my art:  my one place that I feel whole.  It is a comfort to my soul that I have found few places and spaces in my life.  It is process and productivity that I carry out, faithfully, every day, in order to feel like I truly succeed at something.  It is my “something of worth”.  It is my one thing that nothing can touch to dismiss, to denigrate, to deny.  I know that my soul has things to say that cannot be expressed any other way.   

If you are not an active artist, take time to look, really look, at some painting brought up online.  Involve yourself in the translation of what a painting might mean, might mean to you, what might have meant to the artist. 

Be inspired.  Be changed by an art piece.  See and feel the energy an art piece might give to you.  Yes!  Yes!  Let art wash away the dust of everyday living.

©Carol Desjarlais 5.13.23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment