Tuesday, May 9, 2023

How To Gain Physical and Spiritual Peace

 


 

“We don't realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.” Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

What does it take for you to feel content?  What do you do to begin to find peace of mind?  Are you happy?  Are there things holding you back?  Maybe we forget that contentment, peace, and happiness is the lack of chaos/drama for even the briefest of moments some days.

I seek contentment, peace and happiness every present moment, but, that is not ever going to happen.  I need to appreciate the moments in between.  Sometimes a walk along a river bank, a few moments beside a mirror-glass lake, sometimes, a wander through tall forest trees, is all it takes for me to suddenly realize that those moments are precious beyond diamonds.  How quickly we dump the good moments to focus in o the negative.  Life can suck.  But it only sucks for so long as we allow it to fill our being.  My being, has to be a glass-half-full.  Don’t get me wrong, I have had hours, days, weeks, even months where the stressors were huge and feeling insurmountable.  But I made it.  It did not last forever.

I think part of the residuals of drama and chaos are that we have to take responsibility for our actions within it.  Dang, that can be tough because sometimes we want to be so right.  But in every danged situation there is an action, that can wriggle within me, of something of regret.  How does one stay stoic in the midst of it all?  I have not figured that one completely out yet.  But I have figured out what is is and what is past is back there behind me and once I make what amends necessary (necessary being the operative word), I have to get on with getting on and not making the same mistakes I did back there.

That is loving ourselves unconditionally.  We are who we are, we fix who we did not mean to be, and get on with becoming a better person today than yesterday.  Sometimes it takes practice to get things right.  Sometimes we were practicing and, yes, some of us need more practice. 

I am one to work off drama-rama.  I always lived a stressful life, even creating stress to get things done.  I stopped that years ago as my body said I could not do that any more.  I learned better and emotional management along the way.  The better I did, the less often stress could overwhelm me and the less emotional turmoil, the less worries, the less worries the more positive I was.  I realized I was taking the focus off me and how things affected me and was able to see a better perspective of things and became a more compassionate and kinder person. Do I have it right yet?  No, of course not.  I think we will be in eternal practice.

The more contentment, peace and happiness I call up into my life, the more reservoir I have within to withstand a next barrage.  No more panic responses to drama-rama. 

Every night, when my head finally hits the pillow, I try to think of the best parts of the day.  Once I direct my thoughts in that way, the strands of thought tend to be more manageable and I can sleep quickly and more peacefully.

What did you find enjoyable about today?  What kinds of things are we grateful for?  What does contentment, peace, and happiness feel like to you?

©Carol Desjarlais 5.9.23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment