Thursday, February 17, 2022

Somewhere, I Will Find Ways To Soar

 

 


 

   


A huge part of my reason ‘to be’ is because I can do art.  I am not great at it but I have practiced for years.  I am not great at it but I continue because it fulfils me, it spurs me to try new things, and it keeps me encouraged.   On my worst of days, I have done art.  I have plied lids and pots and nibs and scrapers, to enter that sacred space of creating something/anything.  When I am creating, I move into sacred space.  It is a place of my meditation, my prayers, and my absolute truths.

At my lowest moments, I am drawn to draw portraits of women with hope of some kind.  It is my Muse speaking to me; whispering secrets, expressing itself from heart down to fingers, and muscles remember the math of portraits.  My attention is drawn from the outer world and seeps into the inner world.  There, I lose time, cares, and the problems of this terrestrial world.  I soar into holy space.  I am blessed and grateful.

©Carol Desjarlais 2.17.22

 Thank you, Rika, for your inspiration to experiment with abstrat painting.  I did a few and then gave a triple canvas a try.  I, actually, love this set.

I bought three cheap canvaes from our dollar store.  I had saved them for some time and finally foun something I wanted to paint on them. 


I set up my palette and used a bright red to brayer on to each panel.

I used some paper towel to do some smudging of the edges of the red.


 A denture brush makes my best stippling.

I worked with my palette to get down lots of color.  I used a sponge-tipped tool to apply and smudge some of the colors.  (tool bought at dollar tore, as well).


I got lots of beautiful colors and blends of cokirs on each panel.

Layer upon layer of color and mark-making, the painting started to happen for each panel.

To tie the panels together, I used a new stencil that Robyn sent me.

Pen work, helped define some of the mark-making.  I worked intuitvely to define some shapes, as well.

Another stencil was used for the words.

Soemtimes, when I truly love a piece ( in this case, three), I hang them on a wall near my desk, to enjoy them for a while and to really get a good look , during that time, to check if I need to add or subtract anything.  Although busy, they are perfect when I consider that they are intuitively done and feel finished.











No comments:

Post a Comment