Friday, October 1, 2021

Freya/Mrs./Friday

 


The day of the week, Friday, is named for Germanic Goddess, Freya/Frija/Frigg.  She was also celebrated by the Norse.  Freyja means ‘lady; and Frau means ‘Mrs.’  and an early name for her, Frigg, means ‘beloved’.  Friday is Frejya’s Day, as is any Friday the 13th a big day of celebrating Freya. 

No matter the spelling of her name, she speaks to love, fertility, beauty and fine possessions.  She was the first ‘party girl’ who manipulated everyone and everything to obtain her passions for pleasure and thrill-seeking.    In Old Norse poetry, she was claimed to choose fallen warriors as her army.  It is her infamous reputation that has kept her stories alive and well, even in the name of Friday.

Her associations are swallows, oxen, ladybugs, cuckoos, rabbits and falcons. Her colors are yellow, white, pink, light green and light blue.   

All of us know the ‘fallen women’ who have had life wound them.  We see them in every social setting.  You can tell who they are by the look in their eyes.  They smile with their mouth but not with their eyes.  We as today’s goddesses need to gather those women to us, bring some passion and joy in their lives.   

With these last few years being flood, covid and fire, it has been hard to laugh, to be adventurous, and I have had to really try to keep a fertile mind that continues to be a life-long learner, with all the conspiracy theories and armchair experts around us.  There are other things to research, to consider, and much more edifying. 

Let Autumn’s beauty in its dying be a beacon of bright hues and newly noticeable lights come to bear.  I am switching my outside over to fall and winter themes.  I am waiting for my dinner plate flower to finish blooming before I put my flowers all to bed.  I am taking down summer’s lights and adding fall and winter lights outside. 

I am actively letting go of things that do not bring me peace, or joy and/or laughter.  I am seasonalizing my clothes.  I am beginning to cook with bright colored produce.  I will be making lots of artisan breads.  Meal times must be an adventure sometimes, as well. 

Somehow, we must Brave On!  Somehow, we need a little fun in our lives.  When is the last time you truly had fun? We three friends get together every few weeks to spend a whole day together.  There is much laughter, much fun!  We all enjoy it so much.

Let Freya remind us to be a passionate seeker, a fertile mind, part of Autumn’s beauty.

©Carol Desjarlais 10.1.21

No comments:

Post a Comment