Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Baubo, the Belly Goddess: Mirth, Joy and Happiness

 


 

“Perhaps the most important teaching is to lighten up and relax.” 

- Pema Chodron

 Baubo, the “Belly” Goddess is a Greek goddess who is adventurous; full of laughter; leud, betimes; and liberated.  While many cultures hide their face when they laugh, yes, including us, she is one who used humor to lighten up the sadness of when Persephone was kidnapped and crops began dying because of the sadness.  Baubo is said to have filled Demeter with wine and jokes.  Nothing worked, so Baubo lifted up her skirts and flashed Demeter and made her laugh.  The laughter lightened Demeter and she was able to attend to the duties I blogged about earlier and the earth flourished into summer’s bloom and fall’s abundant harvest.  This reminds me of how humor is used to heal in First Nations’ communities.  They have much to sorrow and yet you will find them gathering and great laughter when they do.  Just because life is hard, or even BECAUSE life is hard, we need to keep our sense of humor.

I choose to use the “Belly Laugh” as portraying Baubo.  Have you really laughter, right from your toes, weeping tears of laughter, lately?  No!  then go find yourself a Baubo.  Laughter gives you a jolt of joy.

So often we get caught in the story of our past and we worry about our future.  Look for meaning.  Understanding what quarantine has taught you can make the harder days more worthwhile.  Have we learned to love the small things and appreciate more smaller things than we ever did before?  Have we stopped sweating the petty stuff?  What are you passion about?  You should know that during this time.  Have you learned to find meaning in even the smallest things you do? 

I listen to a lot of Steve Harvey.  I need to laugh.  I need to spend a few moments of my day really chuckling.  But, he also has given me reason to think differently, as well.  He was talking about darkness in our lives.  He says, we have a seed but it does nothing until you plant it in the dark soil.  Who of us has not had dirt thrown on us?  Who of us have not tossed some dirt on ourselves?  Well, he says, we really grow when we have known darkness, and eventually, we reach for the light.  That really resounded with me.  The blossom; does it remember being in the dark, or is it more concerned with reaching higher and fuller to the light?  Man, I have replanted myself more than a few times, but somehow, I think I am starting to get it right.

I remember, in the worst grief of my life, when I lost my soulmate, and months later, someone made me laugh.  In fact, I laughed harder than was warranted.  I laughed until the tears ran down my face.  I was somewhere between weeping and laughing with laughter.  I then, began laughing because I was feeling it right to my toes.  The pain of grief left me.  I sought more laughter.  I sought people who made me laugh.  I sought Baubo every darned chance I got, and still get.  I can now laugh at a lot of things I let haunt me.  I laugh because, sometimes, I take life so seriously.  Laughter made me relax.  I hang around the culture and people who teach me about laughter.  Lord life is so full of the ttragic moments and whenever we can find a moment’s laughter, man, take it for all you got. 

Laugh, sisterfriends… laugh right from the belly of Baubo.

©Carol Desjarlais 10.19.21



 

No comments:

Post a Comment