Saturday, October 2, 2021

Euphrosyne: – Cherophobia

 

 


 

HEAR me, illustrious Graces, mighty nam'd,
From Jove descended and Eunomia fam'd;
Thalia, and Aglaia fair and bright,
And blest Euphrosyne whom joys delight:
Mothers of mirth, all lovely to the view,
Pleasure abundant pure belongs to you:
Various, forever flourishing and fair,
Desir'd by mortals, much invok'd in pray'r:
Circling, dark-ey'd, delightful to mankind,
Come, and your mystics bless with bounteous mind.

- From The Hymns of Orpheus. Translated by Thomas Taylor 1792

 

The Greek Goddess of Merriment, Joy, happiness, grace and beauty.  She is one to call on when dealing with Cherophobia (aversion to being happy) seeping into the cracks of our soul.

The Goddess Euphrosyne is one of three sister Goddesses (the three Graces) who offer us ways to be of Good Cheer, to be a woman of Grace and Beauty.  She was the daughter of Zeus and Eurynome.  Her very name means “Joy”.  She was one of three Graces meant to bring us pleasant moments and good will.  It is said that Paphnutius and his wife were having difficulty having children (we, today, have heard such stories in many cultures and religions) so he went to a monastery and requested that his spiritual advisor pray for them and Euphrosyne was born.

Sacred to her were Vegetables, gold, dice games, the rose and myrtle, spring flowers, banquets, floral decorations, rest, happiness and play.  As well, she was the lover of all animals and there are still celebrations in southern Greece and Asia Minor. And wine is and was hr drink.

But, not fermented wine.  Ancient civilizations had ways of preventing fermentation so they could have grape juice all year long.  We have a rack of Concord Grapes and we bottle grape juice to last all year.  Because of the smoke and ash, our grapes did not flourish but we were able to get two dozen bottle (not the 40 qts. we usually get).  Our juice is steamed out of the grapes and then boiled to make syrupy juice.  The Bee Man adds water to his when he has a cup.  The ancients used to seal their jugs with beeswax.  They also did grape fruit leather and I make a batch, at least, every year. 

It is interesting to note that she was made a Saint in the Greek Orthodox Church between 408 and 450.  She is known as ‘Our Righteous Mother Euphrosyne who is said to have lived during this time.  It is said, in Egypt, she forsook her father’s wealth and position and renamed herself and hid out as a eunuch of the Imperial Palace.  She entered this monastery of men sand was hidden well until she died, around forty years of age. 

She forsook sadness in her life.  She made her life work for her.  It is interesting to me, in my research, that the term “cherophobia” showed up in context with this Goddess’ name.  Cherophobia is a phobia where one has the irrational phobia of being happy.  Do we not know this?  Yes, there are times when some of danged well feel like being sad, with no apologies.  But, there are some of our sisters who revel in their sadness for reasons only they know, but typically, because they have not overcome and thrived in spite of sad things happening to them.  I remember being afraid of good things happening because it felt like something not good would happen directly after.  For a time, I thought it was proven to me.  I was afraid of being happy for sadness would surely follow.  I did not have a full-blown cherophobia, of course, because I have been most usually, a happy, smiling person.  But, do not let the smile fool you.  I am great at covering up my sadness or worry, until I can’t. 

Let us remember, life is hard for everyone.  Some have things piled up that you would not believe.  It is up to us, as sisterfriends, not to help them deny the reasons for their sadness, but to bring some joy, in some way, to them. 

Today, I remind myself to be a happy person.  One of my favorite prayers:

“O God!  Refresh and gladden my spirit.  Purify my heart.  Illumine my powers.  I lay all my affairs in Thy hand.  Thou art my Guide and my Refuge.  I will no longer be sorrowful and grieved; I will be a happy and joyful being.  O God!  I will no longer be full of anxiety, nor will I let trouble harass me.  I will not dwell on the unpleasant things of life.

O God!  Thou art more friend to me than I am to myself.  I dedicate myself to Thee, O Lord.” -‘Abdu’l-Bahá

©Carol Desjarlais 10.2.21

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment