Monday, October 4, 2021

Durja: Reflection

 

 


 

On the Medicine Wheel, Autumn is the black month of denning in.  the time of sacrifices.  This is the time to see the full effects of Gaia’s fabulous show.  We go from the flourishing blossoms to the bleeding colors of Fall.  As the veil thins, we remember those who have passed on, and tap into our roots. 

The Sanskrit Goddess, Durja/Durga, is a Hindu major Goddess.  She is seen as an aspect of the goddess Devi, the mother, and highly revered.  She is symbolic of the gifts of protection, the very epitome of strength, motherhood, destruction and wars, too, on her dark side.  She can give us positive energy, cleansing, purity and salvation.  Her flower is jasmine and other white flowers.  On October 11th she is celebrated. 

She is shown as riding a lion, and having eight arms that hold flowers and weapons of empowerment for women.  Life can be dramatic, seriously, and we need something to cling to to empower ourselves to get through life as well as we can right now.  We can learn to transform ourselves, and, thus, our lives, and drop our self-imposed addictions, obstacles, and fears that we let hold us back. 

It is time for me to get my proverbial chite more together.  I have let fear influence me, even yet, at 74 years of age.   I am working hard to release the fears that I did not know I carried.

May you find comfort and expand your thinking to include the ancient Goddesses we have been conditioned to forget.

©Carol Desjarlais 10.4.21

 **for this art journal page, I painted with gouache, but the page for journaling is done using my die cutting machine.  I printed the writing on a piece of sticker paper ( from Walmart) and used my circle die to cut it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment