Saturday, September 14, 2019

Journaling Admiration









“She lacks the core of sureness, she craves admiration insatiably. She lives on reflections of herself in others' eyes. She does not dare to be herself.”
Anaïs Nin, Henry and June: From "A Journal of Love"--The Unexpurgated Diary of Anaïs Nin

What kinds of people, places, things, do we admire, look up to, look fondly upon, and try to emulate?  I know what I admire.  I admire women who are talented and share that talent.  I admire women who are intelligent and with whom one can have intelligent conversations with.  I admire women who are modest, not negative, not overly positive, with whom I can relate.  I admire women who have tenacity; yes, tenacity, and their courage and wit, their bravery and blessings are won through walking tough roads of a rough journey and yet sing a happy song as they wend their way.  I admire women who draw people to them; you know, those women who just feel like someone you know or want to know.  I admire women who can love;  right to the depths of the heart and soul love;  yes, trust;  yes, who dare to care even for those who blight them;  yes, a love that is gentle and adventurous and, yes, love in spite of themselves and their travails.  I admire women who are in touch with their spirituality and are not afraid to go it alone; who do not need texts or prayers or songs or tithes to be devoted to being soul first and physical second.  I admire women who work at soul level.

To admire someone means to find those that reflect the best in you, the best you wish to be.  I admire honest, authentic women whose very aura radiates with their truth;  not their clothing, their hairstyle, to scores on test, their careers, but those women who live their truths.  

I admire women who do not put on airs nor try to be what others expect them to be.  I admire women who are kind to others, to know that they choose kindness over retaliation, to women who choose to serve others less fortunate than themselves.  I love women who are willing to serve the dying, the lonely, the lost, and not lose themselves in that service.  

I admire women who have picked themselves up off the ground, dusted themselves off, and stride into Life with renewed vigor and grace and dignity.  I love women who are filled with joy at the smallest of things.  I admire women who can sit on th floor and play with handicapped children, or dance with those most would not dance with, would hold a snotty-nosed child and not care about their blouses.  I admire women who know, without words, what another is speaking of, or not able to speak of, and know the compassion and care that is needed.  I admire women who serve others before themselves.  Yes, these things I admire.

I admire women who can shake of frustration, embarrassment, and tense situations with laughter and humor that sets all at ease.  I admire women who can laugh at themselves rather than sink into self-degradation of perpetual sadness and guilt and shame.  I glorify them because they make making those errors, ourselves, less serious because they , and I, can see the humor in it all.

You see, what I admire, I most wish to be and to have.  And to meet a sister out on the rough road who displays even one of these things, is a breath of fresh air for me.  There is hope, then, in this heard world.  

In my art journal, I have drawn a figure I am not even close to being.  In her is the dignity and grace I so admire and strive for.  Can you do an art journal page, a painting, a poem, that speaks to admiration?  Yes, you can!

©Carol Desjarlais 9.13.19

No comments:

Post a Comment