Sunday, April 10, 2022

Priceless Treasures

 

 


 

If you came into my house, you would immediately see that there are rocks in every cupboard, countertop, shelves, on the floor, on the fireplace, on the top shelf of my art desk.  A closer look at some of them has you know that some of the rocks are ancient tools, plants and creatures of early creation are set in stone, bowls and shards of old pottery, and most will look like crazy rock lady has struck again.  But, to me, they are precious treasures, perhaps never touched by man, unless it is a tool. 

I am obsessed with sitting on the side of a mountain, on a muddy, weedy knoll, and digging in the earth to sort through rocks to find precious gems.  There is the sound of the forest wind whispering to me as I dig.  There is the rich earthy smell that envelops me.  I am bent, like a willow, hand clutching a small garden shovel or a small garden fork.  The stones, covered with their blanket, and tossed into my gathering bag and brought home.   They are treated as something incredibly precious for the stories they each tell.

Lapidary and the field trips...and the shop… have given me such satisfaction for two years.  It has been something I could do, something new to learn, and something that I can build on.  I am making cabochons and have ordered an electric pen to start doing some engraving on slabs I cut.  It is not like buying stones… this is something, for me, from earth to beautiful wearable art, and now, engraving.  It has given me purpose.  There is so much more to learn to gather, to make new.

What have you picked up to learn during the pandemic that has helped fulfil you?  What precious treasures have you found a way to find?

©Carol Desjarlais 3.10.22

 




No comments:

Post a Comment