Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Waspishness

 

 


The wasps have been merciless this year.  I do art out in the gazebo and have hung a wasp catcher, gotten an abandoned wasp nest, sprayed around the area, and yet, they come.  They do not seem to sting (they must be males because it is the females that sting).  They are just bothersome.  And so, I finally gave in and learn the lessons of The Wasp.

I have studied the wasp nest that I was given.  It was handled roughly and I am able to feel how delicate and how intricate the nest is, through the tears and where the nest is caved in a bit.  I am honored to have it and it seems to keep the wasps from going in under the gazebo. 

 


The lessons and medicine of The Wasp are many.  For some tribes, The Wasp is the Creator of Mother Earth and the busyness upon her. She teaches us about communication.  It is so interesting to see them follow one after another, seeking water from my water bowl, seeking other dead wasps laying on the ground near the patio, and follow each other to the sugar buckets The Bee Man has made to feed the bees now he has taken their honey. The Wasp reminds us that it takes team-work to get necessary things done.

The Wasp reminds us to be productive.  And, indeed I have been faithfully canning every other day and my pantry shelves are nearly full of bright glass jars full of my harvest.  I am as relentless as the wasps, in gathering and canning.


 

The wasp teaches us about construction and how delicate, yet, strong our homes can be.  I took this lesson to heart and we are going to put a permanent shelter instead of a canvas gazebo.  It gets so hot here that it rots the canvas sides and top quickly.   If it rains, the top canvas leaks through and I have to protect my art materials and art on my easel by putting plastic over it all.  We are looking at a Japanese styled gazebo and adding canvas walls that can be curtained back.  


 

The Wasp symbolizes Order, Progress, as well, and seem to be more left-brained symbols, to me.  But, I obsess about organizing.  I just used The Wasp medicine to clean out and organize our two deepfreezes, I organized the pantry cupboards and made sure the older canning was in the front.  I am going to label the shelves as well.  This is all Wasp Work.  It is almost like Spring cleaning.

The Wasp is symbolic of new beginnings and the starting of new projects.  And, yes, as you read, above, I am working on several productions.  I am also in the Mayan Cycle of my New Year.  I was born on July 25 and this is a ‘non-day’; it is the day after and the day before, and simply a non-day before the New Year begins on July 26. 

The Wasp teaches us about being social and the importance of social networking.  This includes family and maintaining and developing deeper connections with each of them.  Communication is very important with our connections. 

The Wasp reminds us to keep our affairs in order, to stay directed and oriented towards our goals, As we learn The Wasp lessons and medicine for healing and empowerment, remember not to expect everyone to be working on the same areas that we are.  Take care of your barbs.


As the wasps hum around me, dive bomb me, stir the sounds in the air, I have to remember that they have their purpose, the same as I have mine.  Happily Wasping, my friends. 

©Carol Desjarlais 9.15.20

 

 https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2016/04/rainbow-wasps/

No comments:

Post a Comment