Friday, April 12, 2019

Tilting Warrior







no      not Don Quixote       no swathing at windmills
just a man battling all his life     for feelings     he could not feel
he was     at times     a drowning man
fighting for one more clean breath

but he was a poet     a singer     a painter
a kind neighbor      lover     brother     son
we must remember that     like memories
of a flower a dry pod used to be
pointillism pressed against our hearts

he was laughter     love of walking in woods
children brought the child out in him
we loved in hopes to cure    not fair for him
he healed himself every day
how he loved     when he loved
no matter what his love might be     in the moment

I     needing to be needed     chose whatever it became
until I realized I was doing my Quixote no favor     either
turning loose of all I loved of it     for my own peace
and I sent hope and wishes and beliefs into smoke
that wound      surely    towards a greater healer
for us    and     yet  sometimes     when I hear the drums
my heart beats to them     and I remember what warriors
we both were    what ways we were both tilting
how my own decision lead us to new grounds

tonight     the woman who wept in your rain
stands in open moonlight     beneath Grandmother Moon
unloosens braided sweetgrass  and lights a flame
to take hold and draw my newer prayers towards Sacred Ground
and bless his many favors     his service for others     his deepest desires
were honorable as any warriors'     I     one last time
bless him with peace amidst this slow breath of dying
that moves dry buffalo grasses       circles his sky
turns this hard land into Spring     and begins to cycle
a brand new grace      he desperately wanted

©Carol Desjarlais 4.12.19

No comments:

Post a Comment