Monday, October 15, 2018

MY-STORY - Page 9 - Self as Maiden





I have started a 17 x 12 "book using Mixed Media.  I am calling it "My-Story".  I want to leave it as legacy.  It is like an art journal, but focused on things that interest the Inner Me. (Not things I typically talk or write about).  It includes pages of zodiacs, moons, animal symbolism, empowering pages, and when I get the main things done, I will be sharing an art journaling page per week.  I will focus on a section for each week and a new technique.  It will be mixed media so anything goes.  Collect your goodies that you think you might use in a My-Story of your own. 

The 9th page of My-Story is all about Self as Maiden. 

The Maiden is Self as Child.  The Maiden lasts until you are circa child-bearing age.  There are many old and new symbolic representatives of The Maiden.  I have chosen the symbols that interest me.  You can choose to use anything that applies to you.  My page has the main symbols and associations I choose because I have learned such things along the way of my journey.  You may choose memories, or make a page that is a time line of events, etc.  I am keeping my pretty generic and will fill in more about my childhood as I work in the book ( or books that follow this main one). 

The Maiden represents enchantment, inception, expansion, the promise of new beginnings, birth, youth and youthful enthusiasm, and represented by the waxing moon.  There are many goddesses involved in symbolization of the Maiden.  On the Medicine Wheel, childhood/The Maiden is symbolized in the East;  the time of purity, the seed, repentance, and New beginnings.  The Eagle is the symbol of The Maiden.   The two colors of The Maiden are pink and white.  (This is important if you are working on something from childhood, to be used on your altar, or as a flag, etc.)  The Deer is also a symbol /metaphor, of The Maiden.  All if these symbols can be researched through google.  And, if you have any questions, just ask and I will answer your question to the best of my ability.  You may choose other ways to symbolize your childhood. These are just ideas and the way I have chosen to represent my Maidenhood. 

I choose a painting done in a previous art journal.  I guess I felt I was an old soul even as a child.  I know that I thought differently.  It does not mean better or worse, it means that I had a more mature way of analyzing things. ... not always positive.  I collaged the deer and owl, and used washi tape to border the sections.  The butterfly stickers symbolize emergence to me.  Again, I have not gone into depth.  I will pick apart each symbol at a later page in MyStory. 

What does Childhood mean to you?  How would you symbolize your childhood? 

©Carol Desjarlais 10/15/18

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea. I am really loving all your images and prose and poetry that coincides with your postings. Something in everything you post speaks directly to my soul.

    ReplyDelete