Sunday, January 7, 2024

Where Is Our Joie de Vivre?

 


 

Where is that feeling of happiness and enjoyment of life?   How do we sink, gratefully, into a permanent state of happiness so that every moment of our life is the answer to our quest for such?  How can we change our attitudes about daily life, for this is what it takes to live Purposefully and Joyfully?

We, sometimes. desperately, want to feel like life is pleasurable so that we are content with living another day.  We want to do and experience the things that make us excited to be doing.  The other day I heard my friend say to her husband, “She gets excited about everything!”  I contemplated the statement and realize that I am guilty as charged.  And I could do no more than that or I would be bored out of my tree.  I organize and get a start in at least three projects for the day.  Right now, I am working on a recycled blue jean quilt (on the island as I stand to sew).  I always have some painting projects at different stages of completion and I have a craft I am working on.  (For instance, I set a goal for January to be a month of working with birchbark.)  I do not get bored with doing art all day between responsivities.  Moving from one to the other art project, keeps me fresh and the art work thrills me as it comes together.

I am at a place in my life where everything is coming together.  Every morning, when there is sun to see, as it rises, I go outside and greet the day.   I thank Creator for the night’s rest, I ask him to be able to be of worth to be able to do what I should do today.  And I feel alive and at peace and everything is as it should be.   

As I move in to begin my day, I feel a sense of almost excitement to sit down at my art desk and to begin creating, or stand in front of my sewing machine and begin yet another square on the rag quilt I am doing.  I am excited to be almost done the twenty-one square strips, but trying to be patient and thorough in my sewing each square.  There is no rush.  I get out makings for dinner and sit to blog or paint for a short time before moving to something else.  Everything I am doing, I am doing for a reason, although I do not always know that reason.  People ask me where my inspiration comes from for the mixed media portraits.  All I can tell them is that it comes from somewhere in my head or simply appears on the paper as I start adding paint.  I do not use pictures or other paintings to be inspired.  It is as if during the night, I dreamed a face and it waits in my mind until my hand moves to begin.    My life is a lot like that.  I always wonder what the day will bring and it is not with a sense of doom or gloom.  Life surprises me every day.

I have found how to evoke my joy throughout the day.  I even look forward to my nap at about 1 – 2 pm.  I wish you Joie de Vivre!!!

©Carol Desjarlais 1.5.23

 

No comments:

Post a Comment