Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Making Of My Ribbon Skirt

 

 


 

I have begun my ribbon skirt to wear to Pikani Pow Wow, the long weekend in August. 

A Ribbon Skirt is a symbol of womanhood, of identity, of the wearer’s strength, of protection.  It is her connection to Mother Earth and Grandmother Moon. 

Each skirt has meaning to the wearer.  It has to do with connection to First Nations, the colors all have meaning to the wearer, and it tells a story.

My ribbon colors all have meaning.  The blue in my skirt represents, the sorrow of losing my daughter.  The purple represents my elder wisdom.  The burgundy represents blood energy and my connection to a Pikani family that adopted, taught, and healed me.  Yellow represents new beginning, dawn of new wisdom, purity, forgiveness.  These are only the basic symbolisms of the colors I choose.  There are spirals of meanings to each color but I chose these for specific reasons. 

I was asked if non-First Nations can wear ribbon skirts.  I was told that, as long as protocol and honor is kept in the reason and making of the skirt, and being told by an elder or Medicine Person that you can wear one, then it is appropriate. 

I will post further progress on the skirt as I go.  I am only spending a few minutes at a time in the making, making sure I am smudged and making sure that I am focusing on the color as I sew it. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment