Saturday, June 25, 2022

Cat Lady

 

 


I am a dog person, of course, and I have long been secretly afraid of cats.  I had a friend who had two Siamese cats.  One afternoon, when I was at her house, and on the phone, there was a wicked clos lightening and thunder storm.  Suddenly, two cats come screeching towards me, both clawing their way to the top of my head, jumped off and tore into the curtains in her big picture window.  I was left wicked scratches from head to toe.  I was wearing summer shorts and a sleeveless T.  It left me scarred for decades because, from then on, I had a reflex fear of cats jumping on me.

BTW, I also have a fear of rabbits, secretly, of course, until I went up to my sons for the 22 days.  They had four big male rabbits downstairs in a temporary caged area.  I got out of loading the laundry every day.  when they brought one up (“Jelly” was his name) and he stared at me with his big jelly eyes, I had to admit how afraid I was…skin-prickling scared, same as I have been with cats.  My brother, when he was 12, had big albino rabbits, as big as a small dog, with ugly pink eyes,..and his back feet got me good when he attacked.

Back to cats.  I have been working on liking cats and extinguishing my gut-reactive fear.  After all, I am a big girl... old, too… and it is about time I dealt with them.

Sometimes your collage can have an envelop or some folding addition to the page.  With this one, I used a fancy dog envelop that Robyn Coulliard sent in a wonderful box of goodies she sent me.  I had pre-painted a background on the page as I cover pages ahead with paint I was using in another project.  I clean my brushes off on some pages, as well. 

 


 

The paper-doll woman is tucked into the pocket and she is holding a cut-out cat and her arms are folded over the cat.  Makes me shiver, but, if I approach a cat, I am okay.  It is when they approach me that I am still working on. 

And, that is the story of this collage.  Are you working on, or have you worked on collaging in your art journal.  Any hints for the group?

©Carol Desjarlais 6.25.22

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment